The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 08:50 AM

ladyfishme is on a distinguished road
Default Scierra IC3 Rod

Hello,
My husband bought me a Scierra IC3 9th 5wt for Christmas last year. On our last trip out the rod splintered and broke in the third piece of the rod. I have contacted Scierra and the store we bought the rod from and neither will honor the lifetime guarantee of the rod. It has sentimental value to me. I was looking for a replacement, maybe a used one. I would really just want the third piece of the set up.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scierra IC3 Rod

Well that sucks! To bad you didn't buy that rod from Cabelas, they are usually pretty good about repairs.
You might also try a search for that rod on EBay and see if anything turns up.

Larry

Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I have a Scierra Ferox 3 wt that I won in a drawing. When I (grrr) broke the tip there was no one to contact in the U.S. and I went through their home office in England....contacting them by email. They responded promptly and sent me a replacement section VERY QUICKLY for about a $30 fee. I had the impression back then that their U.S. distributor had gone toes up.

Sorry, I don't have the contact info, but I just googled them and used the email on their web site...good luck!

-Mike
Old 06-29-2011, 01:07 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

try here: Scierra.com

ARFE
Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I had the same problem with the scierra rod, I had purchased it from cabelas and they did not have any more when I took it back. they ended up replacing with a cabelas rod of equal value which is now pretty much my "go to" rod. perhaps you can take it back to where you purchased it and get it swapped out? FYI - there is currently a 7 wt on ebay, i know the pieces probably wont swap to your rod, but, I thought I would let you know.

d
Old 07-01-2011, 10:07 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Unfortunately, this is one of the problems of dealing with a company without much history or distribution experience in the states. Scierra, showed up at the fly show (European brand, far east manufacturing) with a pile of product about six years ago. Had a bit of a splash, it didn't work, and they closed their US distributorship terminating all warranty relationships. This is why I get leery when guys ask about small internet fly companies that they got a great deal from. Their are lots of people selling direct from China on line. Wether or not they'll be selling five years from now is a different story. And the factory in China is not going to back up it's no-name product. Buyer be ware.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 AM

flyfishingasia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
Unfortunately, this is one of the problems of dealing with a company without much history or distribution experience in the states. Scierra, showed up at the fly show (European brand, far east manufacturing) with a pile of product about six years ago. Had a bit of a splash, it didn't work, and they closed their US distributorship terminating all warranty relationships. This is why I get leery when guys ask about small internet fly companies that they got a great deal from. Their are lots of people selling direct from China on line. Wether or not they'll be selling five years from now is a different story. And the factory in China is not going to back up it's no-name product. Buyer be ware.
Hi Burk,

Whilst I don't think anyone would disagree with the principals behind quality versus low cost "no name" product - or in this case "low profile name" I think it does need to be balanced against what the product actually costs - ie how "cheap is cheaper"

Just today I purchased a Scierra IC3 #8 from a distributor in Thailand - hence sniffing around for info /commentary on the brand - there is very very little choice of supply here as almost no one is on the fly.

The rod I bought is a 4 section 9ft 8wt that looks and feels ok and comes with a solid travel tube all for the grand price of $40 USD and it wasn't advertised on special.

Anything from the US here is at least 5 - 6 as much.

At that price I will be very happy if the rod gets me through a few months I am not even thinking about 5 years.

As a matter of fact it was so cheap I decided to buy two - one just for "spare parts" when I am in the jungle.

I compare that to a friend of mine that turned up here a couple of weeks ago with #8 he paid 650 British pounds for - they are just two wildly different discussions on expectations of service level and market reputation at $40 I would be happy if I broke the tip based on "operator error" as they call it that I could get another rod for $40.