The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 04:03 PM

freediver111 is on a distinguished road
Default Am I crazy....8wt rods $150-$200 range

So I'm starting to think my brain is getting the better of me.
I traded a baitcast set-up for an 8wt rod recently for an upcoming trip to AK.
I'm going to use it for silvers up there and steelhead here in Oregon when I get back.
The rod is a Redington Red.Fly...not the Red.Fly 2, the original one before that one. I bought an Allen reel to pair it with, and money is a factor.
I'm not the most proficient fly fisherman, and I mostly chase trout on my 5wt. This rod will see some use, but maybe not as much as I'd like since hunting is my main focus during the better steelhead runs here in Oregon.
The problem is that I just can't seem to shake the feeling that a TFO TiCr would be a better rod.....Not sure why, but I do love my TFO 5wt rod......
Should I consider selling the Redington and getting a TFO or just calm myself down and fish the Redington? Do you think there is that much difference between these rods, or am I being silly?
A good question would be are there big differences in $150-$200 rods, or are they all more or less equal when it comes to casting performance.....
I think paranoia is getting the better of me.......
Old 06-14-2010, 07:42 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I crazy....8wt rods $150-$200 range

Cast the two of them. Whichever feels the best to you is the one you want. You may that these rods are two completely different monsters. Maybe you won't. I will let you figure it out on your own.

MP
Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Am I crazy....8wt rods $150-$200 range

That 5wt that you're used to also may have a considerably slower action than the 8wt TiCR. I would guess that the RedFly rod will be an easier transition for someone used to a 5wt.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.