The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 03:13 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Heat fly rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
thanks everybody for the comments and should i get the hobbs creek heat fly rod combo? and will it be harder to do a 40 50 foot cast with a 7'10'' rod?
I had 2 Hobbs Creek reels (4wt and 8wt). Both reels had a good adjustable drag, were durable, and much lighter than many machined reels. Although the reels were cast, they were smooth, had close tolerances, and were nice to fish with. The tolerances are right up there with my machined flyreels. Very nice (and good looking IMHO) reels for $40 each.

With practice, any 7'10" rod should easily cast 40 or 50 ft. I have a little 4wt that stands 5'8" that'll cast 40 or 50 ft, as long as I do my part. Just remember to keep your line speed up and throw tight loops...and keep your line slick and clean!

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Heat fly rod

thanks a ton
Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Heat fly rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
thanks everybody for the comments and should i get the hobbs creek heat fly rod combo? and will it be harder to do a 40 50 foot cast with a 7'10'' rod?
Another important thing to consider when considering short rods is where you'll be using it.

If you expect to be wading thigh deep, longer casts become difficult because the line is starting out closer to the water, and its more difficult to keep the line from touching the water's surface. If you're on the deck of a boat its really not an issue.

I also find it more difficult to get more line out quickly with a short rod compared to a longer rod, due to a shorter lever reducing line speed. (yeah yeah, let the Lee Wulff counterpoints begin) This becomes an issue when you see a cruising redfish 50' off the bow of a boat and you're trying to drop a fly ASAP.

There's two reasons I sold off my 7'10" Redington Predator. I was fishing it with a 6.5wt line. A 7wt might have improved the latter issue a bit.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.