The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 09:20 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Heat fly rod

is the Heat fly rod sold at the white river fly shop any good? im looking to get it in an 8 wt
Old 07-05-2011, 12:21 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Heat fly rod

Fromm what I've read, it is a short (7'11") rod that delivers large flies and poppers with ease. If I were in the market for such a rod, I'd consider it. I'd probably go with the 10wt (to cast the biggest stuff for LM bass).

The next time I visit a BPS, I'll be sure to cast one!

I haven't read any reviews from the BPS website.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Heat fly rod

Hell, for $99 what have you got to loose. It ain't a Sage Large Mouth.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:12 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

for a "bill", giver a workout. might just be your stick!

casey

ARFE
Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 PM

Wink Re: Heat fly rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Yup, may not be a Sage, but it'll do the same job...for way less dough!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
i'm thinkin my next rod will be a sage "bluegill".

ARFE
Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 PM

Post Re: Heat fly rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i'm thinkin my next rod will be a sage "bluegill".
The line rating on the "bluegill" is 230 gr...equivalent to a 9wt line. Why the panfish designation?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Bluegill rod is built on a 6 weight blank. It will throw a standard 6 weight line with a standard tapered leader and a tuft a yarn very nicely. In order to throw wind resistant poppers and to load up the rod properly to fish close in, the rod needs extra grain mass.

Keep in mind that every short bass style rod was not made as a distance rod. They were designed for making accurate short casts with larger flies not associated with a rod of that designated rod and line rating.

Dennis
Old 07-08-2011, 11:17 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

thanks everybody for the comments and should i get the hobbs creek heat fly rod combo? and will it be harder to do a 40 50 foot cast with a 7'10'' rod?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The reality is that no one here has cast one. If you have the ability to cast it, make it happen. Only you can make the decision on whether to get the combination.

A 40 foot plus cast can be done with a shorter rod as long as you are using the right leader and fly strategy. If you plan on using a large fly, upsize your tippet end to maybe 20 to 30 pound test. I'm testing another brand's short bass rod (8 weight rating). The line that I use is a 315 grain floater with a six foot leader (40 pound butt, 30 pound mid, 25 pound tippet). It throws large 3/0 deer hair and foam poppers to 40 feet with ease. When I throw on a sparse streamer like a Clouser Minnow pattern, I can almost throw double that.

I am with others on this. For $100 (a bit more with reel and line) give it a whirl.

Dennis