The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 02:46 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default reconditioning cork

i have a few older rods whos cork have seen alot of fish slime and other nasty stuff. i wouldnt mind doin a little tlc to make em' look/feel better. ive heard everything from sand paper to magic erasers.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-03-2011, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reconditioning corks

Casey,clean them with an old toothbrush and soap...when they're dry you can fill holes with special paste...sand paper to finish...they'll look like new.If they're really damaged change them
Old 07-03-2011, 06:13 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reconditioning cork

Yup, as J-P says, a good soap and water cleaning with a soft bristle tooth brush will remove a lot of the material that you've mentioned. Then, after washing, you can see if something more is needed.

A lot of people feel pretty strongly about keeping the "fish mojo" that's usually pretty evident on the cork of a well-fished rod. But I like mine a little more on the clean side.

If, after washing, you want to go further, then here's how I do it.

1. If you want to leave the surface of the grip intact (or close to intact), then get yourself some fine bronze wool. Mix in a good detegent with some abrasive in it (I use a product called "Soft Scrub") and give it another wash. Don't bear down hard; let the abrasive and the bronze wool do the the job for you. Usually, this is all it takes for me. [Here's another thing that works for me as part of the cleaning sequence. Wet a paper towel and wrap it around the grip several times. Leave it in contact with the grip overnight, then proceed with the bronze wool/detergent wash. Most of the fish slime, minus the small dirt particles, is water soluble. The wet paper towel softens up this material and makes it easier to get it off with the bronze wool washing.]

2. If you don't mind removing the surface cork from the grip, then as a second step, get yourself some #400 sandpaper (I've used all the way down to #700, but that's the slow boat to China if you're serious about removing the surface coat of cork from the grip). Wrap it around your finger so that it's curved and use a gentle forward an back motion to get the surface layer off. I use long strokes; from the tip of the grip to the end and back; turning the grip very slightly with each pass. This removes the minimum amount of surface cork; which is probably what you want to do. If you in advertently create micro-ridges with this motion, then as a finishing step, wrap a band of the sandpaper around the grip and sand lightly around the grip by turning the rod with your other hand; not back and forth. This should give you a grip that looks "almost" new.

3. If you need more, then go to a coarser grain of sandpaper. But with the coarser materials you run a higher risk of destroying the shape of your grip, which will just push you into replacing the grip or having to live with a grip that has a feel that you don't particularly like; which generally means that you'll fish the rod less. [Another downside to using coarser paper is that you then need to use a finer paper to get the smooth surface effect that you're looking for and each step introduces the opportunity to do something wrong. So, overall, fewer steps, in my opinion, is much better than more.]

Magic erasers and other eraser abrasives also work; they serve the same purposes as the sandpaper.

It's all a matter of personal taste.

Pocono
Old 07-03-2011, 10:06 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

casey, you do realize you asked this question in the Advertise on NAFFF area of the forum, don't you?
I just don't get the correlation.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:34 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

my bad

ARFE
Old 07-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I moved the thread. Casey, you most have the Ad threads as a default because all your threads are posted in the advertising section. I move them all whenever I find them.

I have been using warm water, dish detergent, and sometimes a 3M scrubby sponge (the kind you use for washing dishes) ever since I cleaned my first cork.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-04-2011, 02:29 AM

how do i reset that?

ARFE
Old 07-04-2011, 08:50 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough

I recondition cork is three simple steps: 1) Lightly sand the cork to remove dirt/deposits 2) use a wood filler to replace filler 3) Apply a cork sealer...it keeps the cork clean, doesn't deteriorate the cork, and leaves the cork looking new.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-04-2011, 09:57 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
I recondition cork is three simple steps: 1) Lightly sand the cork to remove dirt/deposits 2) use a wood filler to replace filler 3) Apply a cork sealer...it keeps the cork clean, doesn't deteriorate the cork, and leaves the cork looking new.

Cheers,

Robert
I favor foam grips. Cork looks so... so... yuppy.
Besides, that 29 cent foam grip feels better than cork, is better on the environment, matches my favorite black socks and doesn't deteriorate unless exposed to sun and air.
Foam feels every bit as good as that nasty cork and makes one cast better and catch more fish. Really. It's true.
That, plus no cleaning needed... basic black hides dirt well.
Who knows... all of the fish shots with rods with cork grips being placed under water could account for the spread of didymo and asian carp!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:52 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

[QUOTE=Hardyreels;281302]I moved the thread. Casey, you most have the Ad threads as a default because all your threads are posted in the advertising section. I move them all whenever I find them.
QUOTE]

Ard - If you get time to move them, Caseywise also has quite a few threads with questions posted in the "News and Articles for Discussion" section as well.