The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM

mdlarsson is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on kit max $400

I'm a totally new at fly fishing, just did a one day beginners course. I'm hooked.

Now I need a beginners starter kit.

Why buy in the US when I live in Sweden. A lot more bang for the buck.

How about..Sage VantageSAGE VANTAGE 690-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT from ReelFlyRod.com
or REDINGTON CT CLASSIC TROUTREDINGTON CT CLASSIC TROUT 690-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT at ReelFlyRod
or Ross EssenceROSS ESSENCE ELITE 690-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT from ReelFlyRod.com

Other alternatives or suggestions are appreciated.

Daniel in Sweden.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on kit max $400

Hi Daniel,
I cannot comment on the Ross Essence Elite since I have not casted it.

The Sage and the Redington outfits have different personalities to them. Whichever one you feel matches the way that you want to fish is the one that you want.

I found the Sage rod to be very versatile. It can cast a wide range of lines and flies. One day I fished it with a 7 weight type 3 sink tip and size 6 weighted streamers. The rod performed fine. On that same trip, I used it with a 6 weight floating line with size 16 dry flies. The rod performed fine with that, too. I feel the rod's medium fast action gives the rod its versatility.

The 1650 reel works as a good line holder. I couldn't judge its drag since I did not have to put a fish on it.

The Redington CT outfit is one of my favorite price point outfits. I found the CT to be a fun dry fly rod. It can handle tiny size 20 flies as well as large size 4 stoneflies. Last year I had a fun time fishing for some large resident Rainbow Trout on a local river using size 8 foam hoppers. If you can get your timing down with this medium action rod, it can throw some weighted streamers.

The Redington CT reel is one that you would either love or hate. It has a click drag that makes start ups jerk free. It is also noisy. The reel is machined from barstock aluminum, so its tolerances are very close. The smaller rim diameter makes it look more like an old school reel, but it also makes reeling in line slower. At least there are two choices in reel color: titanium or black.

If you want versatility, you may want to lean towards the Sage outfit.

If you want more of a dry fly specialty rod, go with the Redington.

Dennis

Edit: The two outfits come with a Rio Mainstream Trout lines. They will be fine to start out with, but you may want to order a premium line for better perfromance. I would recommend the Rio Gold WF6F for either rod. Both rods cast well with it.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 07-20-2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Just some thoughts on line.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

MP has your answer covered, but Welcome to the forum Daniel. I hope you will continue to visit us here and let us know what you buy and how you progress with it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Or how about this:
R.L. Winston Passport®/Cabela's Prestige Premier Fly Rod Combo, Fly-Fishing Rod & Reel Combos, Fly-Fishing, Fishing : Cabela's
For this price it'll save you money so you can get a good floating line and more.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

first off, welcome to the form
as far as a rod, the overseas winstons are a great bang for your buck including their awesome lifetime guarantee. pair a passport with an
allen alpha reel and allen wf line and some backing and imo your set.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-20-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Or how about this:
R.L. Winston Passport®/Cabela's Prestige Premier Fly Rod Combo, Fly-Fishing Rod & Reel Combos, Fly-Fishing, Fishing : Cabela's
For this price it'll save you money so you can get a good floating line and more.
Seems like a good combo, but Cabelas takes $140 in shipping cost on a $400 order while reelandrod.com has free shipping on orders above $300.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:01 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
ReelFlyRod.com offers FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING on all orders of $399 USD or more! Shipping Costs are $39.95 for all other Orders.
I'd go with the Sage at ReelFlyRod.com ($395) but make sure you add a couple of chingaderos to get you over $399 for the free shipping.

Let us know how the fishing is in your area. SF
Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 PM

How about the Redington RS4 combo, anyone tried it?

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Are Lamiglas any good, there XMG 50 Steelhead spinning are my best rods.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:53 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlarsson View Post
Seems like a good combo, but Cabelas takes $140 in shipping cost on a $400 order while reelandrod.com has free shipping on orders above $300.
$140 in shipping? Holy $h1t! I'd find something else too.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How about the Redington RS4 combo, anyone tried it?
I have cast a Redington RS4. It has a fast action like many rods nowadays. Like many other rods in the $199 price point, it really didn't excite me.

Quote:
Are Lamiglas any good, there XMG 50 Steelhead spinning are my best rods.
I cannot comment on any particular rod in the Lamiglas lineup. But as a company, Lamiglas carries fly rods, but it is not an innovator in fly rod technology and design.

Dennis