The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 PM

rh6898 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Affordable fly rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_reaper View Post
Cabelas had the Redington Red.Fly2 rods on clearance depending on what your looking for. These rods come with a lifetime warranty. WHICH IS HUGE!

I own two of them and the are great rods. I have a 5wt and an 8wt.
I just bought one of these rods for my son in a 4 piece, 8.5, 5 weight. They are nice rods and 50% off retail.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the biggest bass I ever caught:
Click the image to open in full size.

9' 5wt rod with a #10 Wooly Bugger. My right shoulder was injured back in 2002, so I need to use 5wt's and smaller. My wife and I spent every day last week fishing, and she caught two 22"+ catfish on an 8'6" 5wt. One was on a #10 Wooly Bugger, and the other on a 3" Clouser Minnow (lead dumb bell eyes
rather than the usual bead chain I use for that fly). They were lying deep in a channel, and the Clouser drew an immediate strike. I can throw the same lead eye Clouser with a 4wt rod, but you have to use a different cast and a proper leader. A hand-tied 7.5" 3X leader works fine for me, and while I used to use an oval cast, I just open my loops up and get it done. I never cast much further than 30 feet for largemouth, so distance isn't a big problem. Like NCFlyboy, I often use small flies for large and smallmouth bass. Here's a
20+ inch channel cat I caught on a #10 Green Weenie:
I was once again using my 8'6" 4wt, and that fish took off like a missile...several times!

A bassbug type of line will work much better than a trout taper, and the leader should be short and stout (assuming you're using something larger than a #10 Green Weenie ).
Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

frank,
i'll bet that LMB was a blast on a five weight!

casey

ARFE
Old 07-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I say this pretty much every time, Sierra Trading Post has great stuff at rediculous low prices.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:25 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I say this pretty much every time, Sierra Trading Post has great stuff at rediculous low prices.
dan,
ive found some great deals there as well. i got my wife a pair of korkers wading boots for almost half off!!

casey

ARFE
Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I would buy the close out Gary Borger Pro Series rods from the Fly Shop. Original price was over $300.00 but now the 7 and 8 wt are under $125. I own and use these rods and these are the same rods that Gary Borger uses when we go fishing for bass. These rods come with an extra rod tip.

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/produ...opuvuor2s9la6t

Gary hooked ever 20 smallies on his 7 wt a few weeks ago.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-22-2011, 12:14 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Affordable fly rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastroutbum View Post
Ncflyboy
I just tip the hat. You must be a bass master.
Honestly, the bass have been the greatest teachers! There is a pond I have fished in the past...and it is gin clear! I have watched the bass, and they have taught me more than I've read in magazines. Here's some things I've learned from watching those bass:

1. Largemouth bass are ambush predators. I've seen them position themselves in the weeds...they face the open weedline, waiting for an unsuspecting meal to swim nearby.

2. The bigger bass will swim towards the bottom...they don'y want to be seen, let alone become a meal for an osprey!

3. Bass yawn. I've seen plenty of bass open and close their mouth, remaining motionless.

4. Some bass will swim around a lure (or fly), examining it, then swiming away.

5. I once hooked a bluegill...while I was fighting the panfish, a very nice bass was watching the action...directly below the fish. It was as if the bass was deciding to attack the struggling bluegill.

6. A bass will spit out a lure as fast as they can inhale it.

7. I have had bass approach me no further than 6 or 7 feet from me while I exited the pond. I even kicked the water towards the fish, to see what the fish would do...that bass just hovered there, as if it wasn't intimidated...like it owned the pond! That bass was probably a 14", not the 22" I caught or the 24" my friend caught.

8. Bass will try to steal a fly hanging from the mouth of a hooked bass. I have seen two bass follow a hooked bass, trying to grab the wooly bugger hanging on the jaw. Chickens will do the same...they'll try to grab a bug from another chicken....my hens did that when I was in the FFA in high school and had a small flock of laying hens.

I once hooked a small bluegill at this pond years ago. While fighting the fish, a nice bass decides to grab my fish. Just to see what the fish would do, I yanked the bluegill out of the bass's mouth. This next part surprised me...the bass stopped, turned directly towards me (I was in knee deep water...24") and swam towards me. The bass swam to my right, swam behind me, then bolted from my left back towards the struggling fish on my wooly bugger. That bass grabbed my bluegill and hit the afterburner...easily snapping the 4 lb leader. It was if the bass was saying "fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice shame on you." The distance from the hooked fish was approx. 40 ft or so...and the bass closed that distance in no time! After this encounter, I have often wondered how smart fish really are, and how much do we really understand about fish behavior.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 PM

barham will become famous soon enough

Wmcook3200
I live in central Texas and have been fly fishing for years. You should get a 6wt rod that is comfortable and cheap, such as Redington Crosswater 9' 6wt, and have fun. I landed a 4.5 lb bass on a 6 wt and you can so also.
barham