The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 09:58 PM

wmcook3200 is on a distinguished road
Default Affordable fly rod.

Hello there,
I am new to fly fishing. I have been fishing with a 5 wt rod that I recieved for christmas. I have become totaly hooked on this fly fishing thing and have been practicing alot. Problem is here in the middle of Kansas there aren't many trout to fish for. My fishin opportunities are more limited to bass and carp. I am not having much luck casting bass bugs of much size with my 5 wt. I have been told to buy a 8 or 9 wt rod for fishing for bass. My question is does anyone make a 9 wt fly rod that is affordable. Most rods I have seen seem to cost $300 or more. Surely there is an affordable fly rod out there that performs well. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Affordable fly rod.

check cabela's rods. i have 2 traditions II rods I like alot. 9 weight is a big rod. how big are the bass?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 PM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

Cabelas had the Redington Red.Fly2 rods on clearance depending on what your looking for. These rods come with a lifetime warranty. WHICH IS HUGE!

I own two of them and the are great rods. I have a 5wt and an 8wt.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Affordable fly rod.

Hi WM,

Welcome to the forum and flyfishing. There are plenty of nice casting rods in the "sub" $100 range. I have fished 3 in this category: Bass Pro Shops "Hobbs Creek" ($89), Bass Pro Shops "Dogwood Canyon" ($55), and Redington's "Crosswater" ($79).

"Bass" flyrod? I've caught more bass on a 4wt with size 10 flies than I can remember. Most were under 3 lbs!

I had an 8wt years ago, and gave it away...I caught more crappies on that thing than bass.

Bass Pro Shops has a line of short (7'10") rods called "heat." 8wt-10wt. $100 each. I like shorter flyrods, and my next one may be the 10wt...to chunk the big stuff for big hungry bass!

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-20-2011, 11:50 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i would check out these rods from ebay....my wife has a 3 weight that im really impressed with. for large mouth bass, i would go with a 8 or 9 weight rod- New! LaCrosse Custom Rod: Montana Fly Rod 9FT 9WT 2PC | eBay
hope this helps

casey

ARFE
Old 07-21-2011, 12:13 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the board WMCook,
I have been fishing in Texas chasing after bass, white bass, and sometimes strippers and sun fish and what have you. And I have been using mostly 5 to 6 weight rods and I thought that these two rods have given me enough leverage to catch bass and carp, some of which were about 4 to 8 pounds.

You can use 8 wt for bass but I think 9 wt sounds really a overkill. I do think that many anglers in this forum may agree with me. One advantage of 8 wt rod will be that it has fighting butt which helps you deal with chunky fish weighing perhaps up to 20 lbs or more. So if you are going after really heavy fish, you may want to go for 8 wt. But I believe that these 8 wt rods will not automatically help you throw big flies. So, I suggest that before you buy any of those heavy duty stuff, try to learn double haul, a type of casting skill which allows you to increase line speed and helps you to throw bigger flies even with a 4 wt rod. Another advantage of this skill is that you can cast even in a windy day. You can find some tutorials from you tube. If you want to master this casting, you want to learn from some good casters perhaps from your local fly shops. If you already learn and use this skill and can not throw big bugs, then you may want to go for 8 wt.

Anyway, this is fly fishing and if you want to go for 9 wt, you can do it because fly fishing for everybody is different and you will learn by trying many different things. One of my fly fishing mentors in texas, whom I call a fly casting Jedi, is using 3 wt and 4 wt rod for bass, and with his super great line control he can deal with some of heavy fish. That is him and I, a fly fishing padawan, am using a 6 wt rod and that is me.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Affordable fly rod.

Texas,

I have used an 8wt for largemouth bass, but after seeing them attack 6" bluegills at the pond, I have considered the possibility of using a 10 wt. Some baitcast anglers are tossing 10" worms for trophy bass!

I used a 20 lb "saltwater" leader on my 8wt. Sometimes I believed that leader was too light...I would drag 10 lbs of weeds with a 2 lb bass inside! I wouldn't feel "overgunned" with a 40 lb leader, should I need to pull a double digit bass out of the salad!

I've pulled my share of LM bass with a 4wt. When they hit the weeds, I normally wade to the weeds, slide my fingers down the line, grab the belly and mouth, and claim my prize!

My next "bass" rod may be a 10wt...sometimes bass like something big to eat! Tossing Jitterbug sized poppers sounds fantastic...hooking the bass that hits that popper sounds even better!

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I know a guy who likes to fish for bass with an 11wt, but I've never felt the need to be that heavily gunned.
I usually take an 8wt, or when I have space, the 8 and a 6wt too
With the 8wt, I have no problem throwing the 3/0 bendback divers I tie for the local "salad bowls"
You might want to look into the Scientific Angler 7/8 Bass combo. I know stores like Dick's have it for $110. Some W*lmarts might carry them too. Less on-line
Old 07-21-2011, 05:12 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

wmcook check your pm's
Old 07-21-2011, 05:37 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Ncflyboy
I just tip the hat. You must be a bass master.