The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default longer or shorter rod??????

I'm thinking of picking up another 3wt rod. My 7'0" Sage Vantage does well for most of my fishing (warmwater ponds & lakes) this time of year, but I figure a second 3wt outfit would be good to own so I could tell myself, "If I'd just had the other rod along I could have caught those fish!" when things go wrong.

I like a med/slow action rod best (my body is more suited to slow action as the years go by).
I found a 6'0" 3wt listed as "full flex" and like the looks and price, but I'm wondering if the shorter rod will reduce casting distance much (if any)?

I know other variables (casting style, rod action, line type/weight) come into play, but how much does rod length alone factor into the equation?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: longer or shorter rod??????

It will make a difference, especially when you're rollcasting, exactly how much difference, I can't say. Also - and perhaps just as important - it will limit the amount of line you'll be able to mend.

I wouldn't buy such a short fly rod unless I fish very cramped streams - a lot of overhanging branches.

Randy
Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: longer or shorter rod??????

Hi Wabi,

Short rods, like long rods, have their place in flyfishing. I have a 4wt that stands 5'8" that works at the creek, river, pond, and lake!

Casting distance? As long as I do my part, I can toss 40 ft or so. You can double haul a little rod and cast some nice tight loops! Most of the fish I catch on that little number are no further than 30 ft or so....kinda like my longer rods!

Here's an experiment I tried several years ago: disassemble a flyrod and cast using the upper half. I took a 9 footer, used the top 4 1/2', and was able to cast more line than I thought. A good slick flyline doesn't hurt either!

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're fishing in the tightest of tight places; with lots of casting obstacles in every direction, I don't think that you're going to need a rod that's shorter than 7'0". The shortest I use is a 7'6" 3 wt. and it gets me into good fish in some very tight, rhododendron-guarded quarters.

I fished an overhung creek with J-P about 2 months ago - and we used 9'0" rods! And it worked out OK for Chubs and Dace.

Little rods are cute; I have an old Fenwick glass rod; their 535 model; a 5'3" 5 wt. It's cute - and it gets fished once in a blue moon!

Although I myself wouldn't drop below a 7'6" 3 wt., if I was going to experiment with a rod for smaller fish, I'd go down in rod weight; maybe try a 2 wt. or an even lighter rod. PM Sasha on this forum and ask him what his recommendations would be for fishing lighter weight rods.

Pocono
Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Guess the answer isn't necessary now, someone beat me to the rod.

Now I'm thinking of going the other direction - an 8'6" Ross (Essence FS) rod.
I own one Ross rod (6wt 7'11" Flystik) and like the way it casts.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I always vote for longer. I don't own a single fly rod shorter than 9'. I have two 15'ers.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:46 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: longer or shorter rod??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I always vote for longer. I don't own a single fly rod shorter than 9'. I have two 15'ers.
More power to you with the pole vaults!

I've fallen in love with 7' - 7'6"...they cover pretty much any fishing situation I'll encoutnter.

Cheers,

Robert