The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 01:16 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Need to visit AA (angler's anonymous)

Committed the ultimate mistake this afternoon - was reading up on the Scott A3 series of rods, got mesmerized by the glossy pictures on the Scott website and started browsing my favorite internet auction site. 30 mins later I am looking at a brand new 8'5" 4 wt rod landing on my door step and a hefty bill to go along with it

Now I have to figure out how to dispose off my lightly used Avid 3Wt & also how I can sneak in the package w/o my wife seeing it

Its too late now, but does anyone have any 'user' based feedback on the Scott A3 rods?

Cheers,
Shrish
Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Need to visit AA (angler's anonymous)

I think a great many people have done what you describe here. I still have and use the first rod that I was swayed toward by the advertisements in Fly Fisherman Magazine in the 1970's, a 1979 Orvis 7'9" Far & Fine 5 weight. I have never regretted buying it and it's been a wonderful thing to possess.

As time has transpired I found that once I was able to catch fish in any environment where fish were actually present the chance that I may want a different rod to do it with became far less prevalent. Time and the fact that during that 'time' I collected 20 different fly rods have hardened me to the marketing of tackle and I don't believe having another rod will improve my fishing one bit. Enjoy your new rod but draw the line somewhere, when we wake up and realize that we own a 3 weight, a 4 weight, a 5 weight and a six weight we are waking up too late. I do enjoy having a choice of what rod to use but many of them have not seen action for years.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Got a 9' 5 wt A2 which is not very different from the A3...It's a very versatile rod and one of the easiest rods to cast I've ever had.As I underline most of my rods I use it with either a dt or wf 4 f...you should enjoy it.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Hardyreels- Good points about the archer being more important than the arrow. The Scott 4Wt is going to be a replacement for the Avid 3Wt since I prefer the 4 over the 3 & also since my casting style does not match the Avid for some reason. On a separate note, your posts and the avatar bring back fond memories of my trip to Alaska several years ago. I chartered a fly out trip to fish Grayling and Rainbows. It was one of the best fly fishing trips I have taken so far.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 AM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Need to visit AA (angler's anonymous)

Hardyreels,

Fantastic post! Thank you for keeping a realistic and practical perspective in regards to flyfishing. You have earned my respect.

Cheers,

Robert