The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: What rod to build?
Winston LT 2wt 1 50.00%
B3x 906 6 wt 1 50.00%
B3x 908 8 wt 0 0%
None of the above 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 AM

patze003 is on a distinguished road
Default Building new rod

So I have a B3x 9' 4wt. It is my only rod, but I have the itch for a new rod. I mainly fish Wisconsin streams (8-13in fish). I want to build a new rod, I have relatives in Colorado and San Francisco. So I'm trying to figure out 2 things.

1. I love the B3x and I could get a B3x kit for 1/2 the price of a factory rod. Is it possible to build my first fly rod on my own with just assistance online. Should I not use such an expensive blank for the first try?

2. What rod should I build? I see myself possibly doing stripers in the SF bay, although this would be very infrequent and I believe expensive even with a rod. I would probably need an 8 wt, but could use it in the future for Saltwater, Steelhead, and the Brule river up north. A 6 wt is attractive as it could be big enough to throw some bass bugs, possibly big enough for stripers, but insufficient I think for steelies and most saltwater, the final option would be a 2 wt short rod like an Winston LT for fishing very small Colorado creeks and Wisconsin creeks.

Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Building new rod

Hello,

I am not familiar with any of the rods you specify so I did not enter data to the poll. I do however see similar questions ask here frequently and I believe that you will have to be the one to figure this out. With all the low end rods offered these days (via eBay) I would consider something very inexpensive for the 'I won't use it often' rods and would put the dollars and work into the best quality rod I could get for the fishing you do locally and often. In the late 70's and throughout the 1980's my rod was a 7' 9" Orvis Far & Fine, I used it to cast to and catch salmon in Newfoundland and New Brunswick, Landlocks in Maine, fished the Madison and countless other western rivers, only to upgrade to a 9' PM-10 in 1995. I still think the 7'9" is the best rod for anything under 8 pounds and use it often even here.

I hope that sounds reasonable,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-31-2011, 05:34 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: Building new rod

A 6 is a little light for strips on the west coast any lighter you might want to get a disposable one, 8 works them 80% of the time, but at times I wish I had a 10. If you could get the B3x kit at half price could you let the rest of us know where? Thank you.

Rick