The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 06:06 PM

loonwatcher is on a distinguished road
Default albright rods

I am new to fly fishing and was thinking about buying an Albright Topwater fly rod. Does anyone have have any experience with Albright? Is this a good rod?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:25 PM

driftaway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: albright rods

I have the A5 it a 9ft 5wt. Very nice rod and packs down for travel very nicely. They were given a good review from the Yellowstone Angler a few years ago. I have had no issues with mine.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:52 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I just bought the A5-NS 5wt, based on some reviews from yellowstone angler of the A5 and the great 'sales' they have on albright. I bought it for $188 5 weeks ago.
The A5-NS is and update to the A5. I had it out on the river today for the first time. The rod is very responsive and casts like a dream. I had no problems with long casts up to about 30ft, that was as far as i was casting today, so cant say how it performs at longer distances.
It is well build and looks great. I really have no complaints so far.

As for albright, i have numerous products from them including the GP reel (7/8 wt) and as well as an earlier reel they produced (Bugati) and the bridgestone waders and boots. Over all i've been very satisfied with the products and the customer service.

If you can hold off on buying the rod, you might be able to get the A5-NS in a month or so for 70% off...they run those sales regularly, tho i believe in the current sale the A5-NS is not discounted.

Addicted To Vise
Old 07-31-2011, 06:54 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I know a person who bought a 5/6 at a Sports Authority on clearance. I usually don't say anything negative about gear, but I will say something about this rod. The rod was lousy. The ferrules slipped. The rod guide wraps were not very clean. The tip top seemed to be slightly off line with the rest of the guides. And the tip seemed to bounce around when I put any kind of power in a cast. If you really want to get a price point rod, there are better options for you.

Don't get me started on Albright's TW reel. It's a piece of garbage, too.

Dennis
Old 07-31-2011, 07:31 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

You can also check out allen fly fishing for a pretty decent rod at a similar pricepoint to Albright sale prices

They are similar to Albright in that they are a small company.

Addicted To Vise
Old 07-31-2011, 11:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 15' 10/11 wt. Albright spey rod. I like the quality and it casts into the next zip code. They do very well in casting competitions.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

Here is a link to a rod by rod comparison : evaluation tests
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonwatcher View Post
I am new to fly fishing and was thinking about buying an Albright Topwater fly rod. Does anyone have have any experience with Albright? Is this a good rod?

I would buy the Topwater outfit with rod, reel, line, backing and leader. We use the 9 ft 5 wts in our TU classes. The line is a 6 wt which helps beginner's load the rod. Bought on sale, the outfit can't be beat.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I know a person who bought a 5/6 at a Sports Authority on clearance. I usually don't say anything negative about gear, but I will say something about this rod. The rod was lousy. The ferrules slipped. The rod guide wraps were not very clean. The tip top seemed to be slightly off line with the rest of the guides. And the tip seemed to bounce around when I put any kind of power in a cast. If you really want to get a price point rod, there are better options for you.

Don't get me started on Albright's TW reel. It's a piece of garbage, too.

Dennis
Wow! That was not the experience I have had. I bought two of the spey rods and love it and they are well made. Clean. Every time I have seen them compared to top rods, they finish right in there with them. How long ago did this happen?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Wow! That was not the experience I have had. I bought two of the spey rods and love it and they are well made. Clean. Every time I have seen them compared to top rods, they finish right in there with them. How long ago did this happen?
Last year. One of my newbie customers bought an outfit at the local Sports Authority on clearance. I had a chance to test it out when I was giving a beginner's casting class. I immediately noticed something was off. The customer was struggling with casts while everyone else was picking it up. That is when I started casting the rod. The tip bounced a lot, and it flew off. Then I looked at the rod closely and noticed the poor workmanship. I let him use one of the shop's Scott demo rods for the lesson, and he picked up the casting quickly.

What would one expect for a $99 outfit? I would not expect the best quality, but I would expect something to perform halfway decently.

As for my newbie customer. He is the proud owner of a Sage Vantage 5 weight with a Lamson Konic 2 reel and Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX line.

Dennis
Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to say I'm surprised. Our chapter bought 15 topwater outfits, I examined every one, put on the backing, fly line and leader for all 15 outfits. I assembled all the rods. I didn't have one I had to return. Some of the epoxy work was not the best but all the threads and guides were covered.

We are more than satisfied. I 've giving a weekend course with them this coming week.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy