The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 12:03 AM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rod Building

I am in the process of building a 6 ft. 6 in. 2wt. grafite rod. What I need is a good 2/3 wt. reel. I will use this mainly for what I call "flip and float" on small creeks and streams that have too much vegatation and overgrowth to make regular casts.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Rod Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
I am in the process of building a 6 ft. 6 in. 2wt. grafite rod. What I need is a good 2/3 wt. reel. I will use this mainly for what I call "flip and float" on small creeks and streams that have too much vegatation and overgrowth to make regular casts.
Hi Cowboy, how much do you want to spend?-----Frank
Old 03-29-2007, 04:27 PM

PhilipRispin will become famous soon enoughPhilipRispin will become famous soon enough

Hi Cowboy,

I've been building rods for a little while now and the shortest fly blank I've seen is a 7 foot blank. I was wondering if you would be able to find a 6' fly rod blank. I would like to suggest a Loomis GL3 graphite blank. I have built several of these in 4 weight and 6 weight and I have been really pleased with the results. I've purchased one of these blanks for about $36.00 on eBay and the most I've paid for these is $107.00. It seems that the GL3 is fairly low cost and still finishes up as a fairly high performance fly rod.

Phil Rispin
Old 07-11-2007, 05:12 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

cowboy, i think a redington CT 2/3 might work for you. they're discontinued but you can find them in new condition on a popular internet auction site for around $50-$60. simple click and pawl drag but it's a very light, nicely machined reel. if you're open to older reels, there are many MANY options. i just picked up a meisselbach ablette airex reel for my 3 wt. very simple, nicely made reel (not machined) with a light clicker and no drag adjustment from the "postwar" period. very pretty reel in a classic sense.

philip... batson enterprises as well as pacific bay both offer 6'-6" 2wt fly blanks in 2 and 4 piece options. dorber offers them down to 4'-6".

eric
fresno, ca.

OOOPS. i just saw that this is a very old post. sorry about that.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

ezamora, no need to apologize for posting good info on old threads. There's oodles of great info on old threads and more is better.

For those after rod building supplies, these folks stock a HUGE number of options- Angler's Workshop - Rod Building Supplies, Fishing and Fly Fishing Gear I was flipping through one of their catalogs the other day and I bet they stock 2000 different blanks. (not all fly) Some of them are quite low cost, but they've got unique, and top-shelf stuff too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.