The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road
Default Cabela's Traditional II Fly Rod or Cabela's Three Forks Fly Rod?

I'm a beginner fly fisherman and looking for a easy to cast rod, etc. I'm debating between the two for a 4WT rod. Will be mainly fishing for small trout and panfish in small-medium streams and ponds/lakes with it. Which one would you go with and why? Any experience with either?

Cabela's Traditional II 4WT, 9'/4pieces or a 7'6/4pieces

or

Cabela's Three Forks 4WT, 9' 4 pieces

Any reason why I should go 9' over 7'6 or the other way around?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cabela's Traditional II Fly Rod or Cabela's Three Forks Fly Rod?

I owned a 9' 5wt. two pc. Traditional II, as well as a Three Forks 7' 6" 3 wt. 3 pc. rod. Both fished well, and I still have the Three Forks 3 wt. In fact, it is one of my favorites for fishing small streams with lots of brushy overhanging stuff. I would think that a Three Forks 4 wt., maybe an 8 ft. would be a pretty good small stream rod if you have to avoid lots of branches, etc. If that is not a problem, then maybe look at a longer rod.

I will say that the Three Forks 3 wt. is a very medium action rod. This means your casting stroke will be pretty slow. Try to muscle this rod or use a fast tempo, and nothing good will happen. However, use an almost lazy stroke, and the rod casts pretty well. Also, I can get the rod to load with very little line out, meaning I can get a cast even if my target is only ten feet away.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 PM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful. I'll go for the 3forks. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought the Three Forks 9' 6wt. After watching my Canadian friend do 117' casts on with a $10 K-Mart line, I decided I must have one. Best part is that they are on sale. I took it out and cast it tonight for the first time fishing poppers for Smallies. It casts great. I'm not sure why it was so cheap but it sure isn't the blank. It casts like a much spendier rod. It does not have top end components on it, but there is nithing wrong with the way it casts. While they are this cheap you may want to pick one up for friends to use or a spare. Even for yourself.
3 forks rods <---- Link
Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

Aw, the Traditional II can't get any love? That was my first rod, a 6wt, and I can throw #6-#8 clousers 80ft to white bass all day long. It's a medium action rod, but has pretty good feel. And best of all, catch the right sale, you'll find it for about $55-60. I bought a new 7'6" 4wt recently when it was on sale.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:40 PM

manderson2228 is on a distinguished road

I have the three forks rod and i like it. A few instructors who have cast it said it was decent too. Good buy for the price.