The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:56 PM

patze003 is on a distinguished road
Default 6wt or 8wt for new rod

Everyone -

So I am using the excuse of saltwater surf fishing next weekend to get a new rod. I live in Minneapolis so we have trout (I have a 4wt) steelies, smallmouth. I would occasionally be fishing saltwater surf and the flats. So I don't want to have to get more than one rod. I think a 6 wt would allow me to have a nice smallmouth and big trout rod, but a 8 wt would be a better all around salt rod. Wondering what everyone's experience is. Should I go 6wt or 8wt. I plan on eventually getting the other one.

Also does anyone know about rise fly rods?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:54 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6wt or 8wt for new rod

I'd get the 8wt that is built for saltwater. It might be a bit much for some smaller bass, but if you go for big bass there is nothing wrong with an 8wt. Also it will help you throw some big bass bugs in addition to opening the door for saltwater.

I've used mine on some smaller bass and it works just fine and unless you're wanting to throw some delicate dries it'll be fine casting smaller streamers and poppers.

Sorry don't know anything about Rise
Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

For the criteria you've listed, it's difficult to pick a single rod that covers those bases well. I've done a lot of bass fishing with a 6 wt, and an 8 wt for both LM Bass & Smallmouths. I use a 10 wt sometimes for LM bass in brackish water, primarily because of the snags in some places I fish, and I use some big flies, and often there's the possibility of hooking a Striped Bass as well. A 6 wt is fine for some saltwater species, but the problem is not usually the fish, but the wind, especially in the surf. In very calm situations, sure you can use a 6 wt. I've caught Striper's up to 30 inches on a 6 wt while fishing in some tidal creeks for other species, but much prefer the heavier rods when targeting them.

An 8 wt is a better choice IMO for saltwater fishing in general, but surf fishing is a different situation. Where you'll be fishing makes a world of difference. Most saltwater surf fly fishing really means fishing structures within the surf. Inlets, jetties, rocky shorelines are all well within the realm of possibilities for a fly rod. An 8 wt is fine as long as you're in situations where you can wade or otherwise get within a reasonable casting distance. It's not going to be like the surf spinning or conventional reel guys chucking bait out there & waiting. They may be casting 75 yards or more to get to the fish. If you're fishing those type of surf areas with a fly rod, it won't matter what weight rod you have & all you'll be doing is practicing your casting. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you may find fish chasing baitfish in against the shore. A great situation to find, but not something you can count on happening very often.

An 8 wt is a good choice for flats type fishing, whether for Bonefish, Redfish or most any other species that frequents flats other than large Tarpon or Sharks. Some of the Keys guides I tied flies for used 10 wt's for Bonefish & Permit, and again it was primarily because of wind issues.

I'm also not familiar with Rise. I have a TFO 10 wt rod, and would recommend them. Also, check Colton, I've not used one personally, but they have a very good following among Northeast saltwater fly rodders and have been given awesome reviews. The owner from what I've read is very active on some forums & is a great guy to talk to about what you need. May be my next fly rod purchase.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I'd go with the 6wt. unless your hitting salt water at least a couple of times a year for extended periods of time.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Since you state that you already have a light duty rod my vote would be for the heavy rod. If you can find an 8 weight in 10' that would be even better. The thinking is simple, it's easy to catch a small fish on a heavy rod but using a 6 weight for big fish is not always easy. It can be done; I've done it, but if you are going to look into steelhead and salmon near home or strippers and other salt species at the ocean an 8 weight is not a bad go between.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 PM

barham will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: 6wt or 8wt for new rod

I live in Texas and have fished for both for bass and on the Gulf for redfish. Since you already have 4wt you like, I would suggest an 8wt. I bought my wife a Sage 8wt 9th Vantage for around $250.00 and both of love. Also, for what its worth, it's made the good ole USA.
Barham
Old 08-26-2011, 06:40 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i would definitely go with the 8. more versatile imo.
another perk of the 8 is that it will most likely have a fighting butt,
the 6 most likely not.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Since you state that you already have a light duty rod my vote would be for the heavy rod. If you can find an 8 weight in 10' that would be even better. The thinking is simple, it's easy to catch a small fish on a heavy rod but using a 6 weight for big fish is not always easy. It can be done; I've done it, but if you are going to look into steelhead and salmon near home or strippers and other salt species at the ocean an 8 weight is not a bad go between.
I'm with Ard on this one, the 8 is a perfect choice and is the one I use as a utility rod in the surf, and in my river for steelhead and silvers. At times when I hook a sand shark I wish I had a 10, go for the 8, the best of luck.

Rick