The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 PM

echosystm is on a distinguished road
Default TFO BVK Rod Balance

Hi guys

I'm planning to buy a 9' 6# TFO BVK rod. However, I am not sure what reel will balance this rod well. Unfortunately, the fishing shops in my area leave a lot to be desired, so I can't try out combinations in person and will have to buy online.

I noticed that TFO have BVK reels, which are presumably made to balance well with the BVK rods. The 9' 6# BVK rod weighs 3oz and the 5/6# BVK reel weighs 4.9oz. Do those weights sound about right? Based on other outfits I have seen, it seems to me that the BVK reel is a bit to heavy for the rod.

Assuming 4.9oz is suitable, is it safe to say that any 4.9oz large arbour reel would provide a similar balance? The BVK reel is outside my price range and I would rather get a Lamson Guru, which also weighs 4.9oz.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 11:08 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: TFO BVK Rod Balance

the guru is an outstanding reel; light,durable and features lamsons no frills sealed drag system. i think you would make a nice pairing of this reel with your bvk.
lets hear how it works out.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-19-2011, 11:34 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: TFO BVK Rod Balance

Hi Echo,

If possible, try to visit places that sell flygear...BPS and Cabela's come to mind. They have all kinds of flyreels to see what balances on your rod.

Flygear places suck around my parts...I'm probably the only person in my county that owns 3pc flyrods...everything in the stores are 2pc!

Cheers,

Robert
Old 08-19-2011, 11:38 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TFO BVK Rod Balance

I sold a guy a 9' 6 weight BVK with a Guru 2. Loaded with line, it seemed fine. The guy hasn't complained, so I think that he is happy with it.

Dennis