The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 12:05 PM

purduefan11 is on a distinguished road
Default 6wt or 7wt for smallmouth?

I am relatively new to flyfishing and need some advice on a rod, I want a Z Axis , and it will be used for stream smallmouth fishing, so should i get the 6wt or 7wt, thanks for the help
Old 06-20-2010, 12:29 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6wt or 7wt for smallmouth?

You can go either, but your determining factors are going to be the size of flies that you will be throwing and the weight of the lines.

If you plan on using larger heavy or wind resistant flies (say size 1 or 2), you may want to errr towards the 7 weight. It will make for a better delivery system for those flies. If your flies are not that large, go with the 6 weight.

If you use a sink tip or full sinking line, choose the 6 weight for lines as heavy as 225 grains and the 7 weight for lines as heavy as 275 grains.

My smallmouth rod is a 6 weight Z-Axis. I use streamers as large as size 4 with coneheads with sinktips as heavy as 225 grains.

MP