The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Old Sage RPL III action ?

Hi !!

Back to holydays, I want to choose a rod for next fishing season, and for my fishing trip in Bosnia.

I thinck about theses rods:

Echo's 3 rod (fast action)

Winston Passport (5 wt)

Rise fishing In-stream (5 wt) .

The Rise rods are quite new, and I saw very few review.... one of the review say that :Wherein we profess a weakness for four letter fly rods .. and their makers | Singlebarbed

My question, anyone know the action of the old Sage RPL III? Fast? Med fast ? is it ok also for nymph? I fish 60% dry, 40% nymph, light streamer.

Thanx !!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:48 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Old Sage RPL III action ?

Interesting question, in that I JUST bought a new, but old (obviously) Sage RPL Graphite III 9'6" 9wt. I purchased one a couple years ago for a friend, and lawn cast it a couple times before I took it up to him. I remembered liking it quite a bit, and saw this one on the auction site last week and figured, what the heck, go for it. Got it for $275. That's a LOT of rod for $275.

I'm pretty much addicted to Loomis NativeRun rods, which in anybody's book can only be described as FAST. In my old age, I must be slowing down to the RPL's speed, which I would describe as moderately fast...but erring on the faster side of moderately. Still, I shot the line to the backing knot on my second lawn cast with it. The Loomis' may take a back seat during my next trip, in twoish weeks, to the Miramichi.

Go for it!
Gary
Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Hi Gary !!

Thanks for answer !!

Well, also I'm a Loomis fan (GLX), but now I got a T3 Orvis (Tip Flex 9.5) and it works very well, but in 2 sections. For my fishing trip, I'm looking for a 4 pieces rod.

Tip Flex for Orvis "old" rods like Trident or T3, is like med fast for actualy rods.

I try a BVK TFO rod, and for me it's too stiff !! for fishing nymph it's ok but for dry fly, it is not work for me.

I look also Winston Passport or Echo's 3.

Anyone try it? Are they similar to Loomis GLX ??
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Hello Ben,

If you like the action of the Loomis GLX, why not buy a used Loomis GLX
on ebay? There are some that are practically new in the auction from time to time. Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

imxer
Old 09-01-2011, 04:18 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

When you search for the rod, don't use the RPL III designation. It is just Sage RPL.

Sage made 3 series of fly rods with the RP (Reserve Power) designation. The RP followed by the RPL (the L for Light), then the RPL+. After they discontinued the RPL and replaced it with the RPL+, there were fishers that still wanted the original RPL and so Sage continued making the RPL as the VPS series of fly rods. The VPS Light series continued the Light Line or Sage LL series of fly rods.

The VSP and VSP Light series of rods are now discontinued.

So you can buy a used VPS series rod and get the same rod blank as the RPL.

Sage Fly Rods

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Thanks guy for yours answers.

I Thinck I'll try an Echo 3 rod. Tim Rajeff's work look so good.

For $350 , lifetime warranty and fast progressive action.

Review in september !!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:08 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I always thought that Sages LL (Light line) rods were the best all around trout rods Sage ever produced. And a few of them still stand up as great rods (the 8'9" 3 weight for one). In the newer stuff I'd suggest you look at the Greys Streamflex line too. Admittedly, I am a rep, but I own several Winston WT's from back in the day and I am always pleasently surprised by how well they stand up to my WT's as fishing rods. They were obviously designed with some time on a stream, not just in a parking lot.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ben.
I have a VPS Graphite III 6wt as stated & from what I've also read they are virtually the same as The RPL on The Graphite III Blank.
I think they are in the Medium to fast Class.
I also have a 6wt Z Axis,both are beaut Rods.
Brian.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:52 AM

Thanx everyone for answers.

My top 3 rods-to-choose:

Echo 3 9' 5 or 6 wt

St Croix Legend 9' 5wt or 6

Rise Fishing Co In-stream 9' 5wt.

I'll buy it in october, and I'll put a review of it.