The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Tackle Box Rods ?

A while back I purchased one of these 2nd hand on the auction site. The picture quality used to sell the rod wasn't that great, and there wasn't much of a description. If I remember correctly, I think I was the only person to bid on the auction. I wasn't expecting the rod to be much, all I was able to tell from the pictures, is that it had a cork handle. Once the rod was delivered, I was surprised at how nice it appeared to be. I was wondering if anybody out there has ever heard of them, or can tell me anything about the manufacturer. The rod appears to be constructed well, and is labeled, "Tackle Box Rods Wood Village Oregon 97060"

Click the image to open in full size.

If anybody has any information on these, Id like to here it. I think this may be one of the nicer rods I have purchased, and was wondering if these were hand-built by a local shop. After receiving it, I felt guilty to have picked it up for just thirteen bucks.

Although the rod is labeled as a 9wt, I prefer using it with a 8wt line. Over the last few months I have searched various forums, and haven't found the brand mentioned anywhere.

Last edited by charged; 09-07-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:37 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tackle Box Rods ?

I'll give you $16 for it plus shipping, you'll make over 20%, if you can change it into a 5wt

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Best guess is that it was a build by someone who called them by the name on the sticker. The fact that there is a custom decal on the butt would make me think they made a bunch, not many guys have a decal made for small production runs. If it works well and you like it I wouldn't worry too much about the origin of the rod. It's kinda of like picking up an unmarked bamboo rod and finding out that it works better than one you paid 800 for. It looks like a fine 8/9 from here, congratulations on making a good purchase.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-07-2011, 04:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Mudhole sells custom rod decals. My buddy puts them on all the rods he builds.
$7.95 a piece, $3.25 in quantity
Old 09-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Would that be a "foreign" or a "Domestic" rod? Sorry I couldn't help myself.....I'll go back to my corner now. lol!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Some of the humor is above my head, are there features that you can identify that indicate it being an inexpensive rod? I'm fine with it either way? I'm just here to hopefully learn a few things. If I knew anything about the rod, I wouldn't have asked.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I say you got a smoking deal and am glad you like it. I'm not much of a rod pro, I can tell you what I have and what I've gotten rid of along with the reasons for keeping or selling. Other than that I guess I'm not much of a source, there are so many blanks finished in this country I don't know how you could track them all down.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Great looking rod, and if it does what you want it to from a casting and landing standpoint, you got one of the major bargains of the angling year.
good for you,
Gary
Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You don't see too many 9wts with a wooden reel seat and without a fighting butt. I'd say that counts in the "cheap column". The wood spacer on the seat doesn't look like anything special either.
And it looks like it's a guide short also. I count 9. The recommended amount if its a 9' rod would be 10. Another strike in the "cheap column"

Still a steal at $13
Old 09-08-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks for that info Riptide, I like your strait forward answer. Now at least I know I shouldn't have to baby it for any reason. The rod has 10 guides, but your right that the wood insert is not contoured like some of the nicer rods.