The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rod ferrule wax

This guy is a Sage dealer:

I use those rubber jar openers he shows, and they're really effective at gripping rod sections. One of the things that worries my the most is pulling of a tight tip section on a 4 piece rod: grabbing it firmly with my ham hands tends to put a bend in the tip, and adding the pressure needed to pull sticky sections apart makes me uncomfortable. The guy in the video says he'll send the rubber grips out at no cost, but they can be found everywhere.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use an old candle
It's not likely that you'll ever use enough to hold any abrasive grit as you only apply in when necessary.
One thing you should never do is use wax on metal ferrules.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
This guy is a Sage dealer:

YouTube - How to Correctly Assemble and Disassemble Fly Rods

I use those rubber jar openers he shows, and they're really effective at gripping rod sections. One of the things that worries my the most is pulling of a tight tip section on a 4 piece rod: grabbing it firmly with my ham hands tends to put a bend in the tip, and adding the pressure needed to pull sticky sections apart makes me uncomfortable. The guy in the video says he'll send the rubber grips out at no cost, but they can be found everywhere.
Frank,

Here's an interesting diddy from my past. I have an Orvis 9' 5wt PM10 4 Pc that used to give me fits getting the mid section apart. I have the jar openers but this thing would get jammed. I figure it had to have something with the way I torqued it with my casting style. I found that if I submerged the rod in the cool water of Spring Creek for a little while the temp change caused the material to contract and the rod came apart with very little effort. You might want to try this if you have trouble handling the rod and jar opener while wearing your fish costume, that thing looks like it will really cut your dexterity down.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
In a pinch, you can use the oil off your forehead or the side of your nose.

MP
That is all I use for sure. And I have dry skin!!!! By the way, the forehead and nose thing is good for you lips in the winter also. All natural!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ard,
The fish costume shows my commitment to the sport.

I just had a thought. Someone might see the rubber jar opener idea for loosening sections, and apply that to tightening sections. Not a good idea....just in case.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:10 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I found that if I submerged the rod in the cool water of Spring Creek for a little while the temp change caused the material to contract and the rod came apart with very little effort.
I have had that problem when I assemble the rod real early in the day when it's cold and then try to take it apart during the warmest part of the day. The joints will have expanded, and the solid male part of the ferrule expands more than the thin female portion, jamming the joint together.

The solution, same as you found, is to submerge the rod in the water for a few minutes.... then the temperature goes down and the male portion shrinks more than the female (REF: Seinfeld, shrinkage), the female portion laughs at the male portion and they disconnect.

Really!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:21 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

so i dont technically NEED any lubricant for the ferrules?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
so i dont technically NEED any lubricant for the ferrules?
Nope. Assemble the rod, and fish it. If a section is difficult to dis-assemble, a little bit of paraffin will help.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 PM

gogreen is on a distinguished road

I was in Alaska last year, and fished with in about 50 miles of Mt McKinley. the water was full of volcano ash, and it was hard to keep it out of the ferrules. By the end of the trip the finish was lightly scored from the pumice action of the ash in the water. I work hard to stop the scoring, but couldn't. After comming home, I called Sage (the rod was an xi2 9' 9wt.). They didn't do refinishing. They did however, tell me how they fitted their ferrules on their new rods. They use a product called Tibet Almond Stick. It is a furniture scratch remover. It only repairs fine scratches, but, it filled the super fine scratches in the finish of the male ends of my ferrules. It helped me get the fit back correctly in each piece.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a repaired rod back from Orvis and it came with a little plastic tin with wax. A friend of mine has broke three Orvis rods this year and said all of them came back with the wax. Kewl thing.