The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rod ferrule wax

Speaking of scratches on male ends, I was talking to a local rod builder a couple years ago. He had just ordered a few hundred blanks from China, and said that they bake the finish on in a way that creates a super glossy and hard surface that makes keeping the rod sections together difficult. He said that he hits the male ends with a scotch brite pad to give the surface some bite. I suppose volcanic ash would just as well.

I looked at the Tibet Almond Stick, and can't imagine how it could aid in fitting ferrules unless it removed material. If that's the case, I'd use it carefully......same with scotch brite pads.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I must just be lucky because I have very little trouble with ferrules either coming loose or sticking. The only ones I pay attention to are the nickle silver on the cane rods. Every so often I take a Q tip into the female section and wipe them out. The graphite rods see a lot of roll and single hand Spey casting and remain tight through out a day. Some people like to use tape around a problem joint to stop it from twisting when being torqued by roll / Spey style casts.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-12-2010, 05:34 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a very nice rod about 7 years ago. It was a two piece 5wt, and the sections would come loose every 20 minutes or so. This was while I was fishing on the river for smallmouth, and before I got serious about the finer points of casting technique. Once I did become interested in casting technique, I realized that whipping a rod back and forth wildly is bound to cause sections to loosen. When I began to finesse my casts, the rod suddenly stayed together for an entire fishing trip, and my casting distance was just as good if not better.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:40 PM

gogreen is on a distinguished road

To: FrankB2

Actually it is a cross between a furniture polish, a wax, and filler. It doesn't remove anything. It fills the fine scratches, and seems to help the fit between the male and female ends. Not too tight, not too loose. Smooth some on, I have found that letting it dry is a good thing. Use a soft clean cloth to wipe after it sit's for a few minutes. You can get this stuff from Amazon.com for about $2.49 a stick. It's a cheap fix the Sage people find works for them. Their technical department told me to try it. You know, they know what they are doing.

Last edited by gogreen; 10-12-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Changed some spelling
Old 10-14-2010, 04:57 PM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road

I use wax, and when it gets cold its hard to get apart, put joint in mouth and breath on it , warm breath soffens wax, comes apart easy.