The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 07:19 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default rod ferrule wax

can i use just plain beeswax like from a tealight candle? i lost my little thing of wax from orvis. thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: rod ferrule wax

Jack,

Yes but I gotta ask, is it a two hand rod? I have never used wax on my traditional fly rods.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM

no its a sage flight in 5 wt. ive just heard its a better fit/seal etc with a little wax on it
Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hum, OK; I just wondered. I'm sort of a dinosaur because I don't read much on the new rods and technology. I have not been using wax on my two hand rod but may begin to tape the joints. As I fish longer and use more casts occasionally the butt joint loosens up on me.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-22-2010, 10:57 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

This is probably a lot more than you were looking for, but there's an interesting split between the major rod manufacturers and other experts as to whether wax is best for rod ferrules. Sage and Orvis suggest &/or provide wax, but others advise against it.

The plus for wax is that it not only prevents ferrule freeze-up, but fills tiny gaps that exist between the male and female parts, thus holding the two parts together better. The negative for wax is that it tends to retain gritty materials like sand that over time will wear the ferrule joints, leading to joints not holding together. Those who believe wax is bad recommend several of the ferrule lubricants like U-40 and Renzetti's equivalent. These lubricants keep the ferrule joints from sticking, yet don't attract grit like wax does.

My solution to this conundrum is to use the U-40 (or Renzetti brand equivalent), first cleaning off the wax I had previously coated the ferrule joints with. This ferrule lube has kept the ferrules easy to separate, and since I've used it only on fairly new rods, there's no ferrule joint wear needing wax to fill. If and when I decide the U-40/Renzetti lubricant isn't doing the job as well as I'd like, I can always then switch to wax.

FWIW . . .
Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

In a pinch, you can use the oil off your forehead or the side of your nose.

MP
Old 06-23-2010, 12:32 AM

well **** what about no lube? i think oil off the face might be my ticket. i dont want to pay $10 for renzetti but i dont want to use wax and have my ferrules wear...

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

why wouldn't it be ok to wax ferrules with like tealights from walmart or something. when you go to clean your rod after youve fished which you should do everytime you fish, just wipe down the male ferruls at the same time. get a q tip and clean the inside of the female ferrules also. next time you put the rod together apply some more wax if need be.

sound good? are those little tealight candles ok to use for wax? theyre just plain unscented wax
Old 06-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Any candle will do...the least expensive ones will be the best
Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

St. Croix always provides a nice little wax disc with their USA made rods. I've used it on rod sections that seem to get stuck often, but not on others. A
rod builder/master fly angler told me that it's largely intended to fill the gaps as rods get older, and ferrules begin to click. I've never had a rod that held together better because of wax, and back when I thought that would work, the sections came apart more easily.

Out of 7 or more rods, I have maybe 2 male ferrules that get wax once every couple months. I called a Sage repair tech a couple weeks ago, asking about
ferrule fit and how much pressure can be applied when fitting sections. He told me not to worry about pushing too hard, and that it would I couldn't push
the sections together with enough force to cause damage. Hmmmm..... He could be right if the sections were pushed together dead straight, and I'd want my hands to be very close to the ends of each section.

I've been using the 90 degree twist to lock technique to fit sections together for several years. A fly shop posted a YouTube video about fitting sections last weeks, and the owner was very emphatic about pushing them together straight, and not twisting. I gave it a try, and it did hold better! I always thought that twisting a rolled blank might not be a good idea, and not just because it's rolled. I've been using the straight together technique with great success since then. Of course bamboo rods get pushed together straight as well.

Wax? Yeah, if you have a section that's not performing the way you'd like it to, and a lubricant of some sort would help. Beeswax is sticky, so parrafin wax
is the type you want.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 AM

i just got a sage flight in 9' 4 pc 5wt. so its ok to push pieces together straight and without a lubricant? and as time goes on once ferrules start to not hold like i want them to, i can use lubricant?