The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 07:11 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Grey's XF2 advice

My local shop has a Grey's XF2 10' 4wt and a 10' 3wt. Is the XF2 a newer model or will it be a closeout soon like my Z-axis ?

I am thinking of getting one to try out without breaking the bank.

Anyone have the 3wt and how does it do with size 12 beadhead type nymphs in tandem or would you go with a 4wt ?

Yes ,no , maybe ?

Any and all input would be great before I buy
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: Grey's XF2 advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
My local shop has a Grey's XF2 10' 4wt and a 10' 3wt. Is the XF2 a newer model or will it be a closeout soon like my Z-axis ?

I am thinking of getting one to try out without breaking the bank.

Anyone have the 3wt and how does it do with size 12 beadhead type nymphs in tandem or would you go with a 4wt ?

Yes ,no , maybe ?

Any and all input would be great before I buy
The XF2 in the Streamflex was new for 2011, I doubt they'll go away real soon. I would go with the Four weight if you're running two size 12 beadheads. As far as reels you might want to check out the new Hardy UL, they are only $199 and are available in a click and Pawl or Disc drag for a four weight. They won the best new FW fly reel at the New Orleans Fly tackle dealer show.

New Hardy Ultralite Reels Review The Albemarle AnglerThe Albemarle Angler
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Are you talking about streamflex? If that is the case, I can tell you that a 4 wt can be a great nymphing rod and it can be also used to throw streamers. 3 wt can be a specialty rod dedicated for euronyphing. If I have to choose between 3 wt and 4 wt I would go for 4 wt due to its versatility.

I have been using 4 wt for euro nymphing and have not had any problem throwing size 12 or even bigger nymphs.

Make sure that you get or make one of those backing or a coil sighter. I can tell you that this technique made my nymphing high productive.

If I have several 9 footer rods, I will go for a streamflex instead of getting another 9 footer although it is z-axis.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Thanks guys, so one more ?

I have a 9' 4wt Z axis, will I get much more difference in a 10' or should I go big and get the 11'

I agree 4 wt will be more versatile, was pondering a 3wt since the longest one of those I have is 7'10 so the jump to 10' would be a substantial difference.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:02 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

I have not tried a 11 footer one, yet I see that a 10 footer gives you a huge difference in nymphing compared to 9 foot rod. Especially you can easily mend line and cast at spots that you could not reach with a 9 footer.

But let me tell you this. I have been reading many guys' reports on using Czech specialty rods, and many of them believe that although 11 foot rod is gaining popularity, 10 foot nymph rod seems to be still a dominant tool because of its versatility. Many believe that you can easily cast a dry fly and chuck some heavy streamers with a ten footer, but are not sure if a 11 foot one can be used for casting dry flies and steamers. I know somebody can, but a long rod can be cumbersome for that purpose.
Seems to me that 11 footer rod is used by tournament guys who are mostly doing Euro nymphing because for a short leader nymphing extra one foot seems to give them leverage.
(If any fly fishing tournament people read this and think otherwise, please let us know. I am building a case for buying a 11 footer anyway.)

So, if I were you, I would begin with a 10 foot rod, and perhaps if you happen to fish at a larger river, you will consider getting a 11 footer.

Another rod that you may consider is temple fork's BVK 3 wt 8 foot and 10 foot combo. Basically you can buy 3 wt 8 foot BVK and get an extension to make a 10 foot rod. I am going to use 3 wt 10 foot rod this Monday and plan to give a short review. Seems like many people love the rod.

Yes, I know. The easiest solution is to buy all three of them.

Last edited by texastroutbum; 09-24-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here....it may help:Greys Streamflex xf2 10' 5 wt
Old 09-24-2011, 01:52 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I haven't had my hands on the new Grey's Steamflex. I can tell you for the price I love my old 10' steamflex. I think they have the taper figured out really well for nymphing and the "Connectedness" you feel from the tip of the rod to your elbow.

If you get it and Nymph update us here. I would like to here how it goes.

CritterGetter
Old 09-24-2011, 09:01 AM

Thanks guys, sounds like I have a 10' 4wt in my foreseeable future.

I am pretty sure my Evolution LT2 or Guru will pair up nicely. Just depends on if the rod likes SA double taper or SA Mastery gpx wf