The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM

willvoll is on a distinguished road
Default Sage graphite II

I'm new to fly fishing. I have a chance to buy a Sage graphite II GFL RP - 8 wt 9'6" Rod for $75, is this a good deal? I'd be using it as a Steelhead fishing rod, which is the main attraction, I hear, in my area (Southwest Washington). Does anyone know anything about this rod?

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Never mind, I didn't realize there was already a tread on this, my bad. The other tread pretty much answers my question.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage graphite II

The Sage RP line of rods were from the early 1980's and were great fly rods in their time. I still have an RP. They preceded the RPL. RP stands for Reserve Power and RPL is Reserve Power Light.

The RP line of fly rods preceded the Sage guarantee, so the rod has no warranty. They were priced at about $200.00

Unless you are very price sensitive, you could probably get a lighter and higer performance rod for about $200 with a warranty from TFO, Echo, Redington, etc.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-27-2011, 04:23 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Re: Sage graphite II

I like it- 9'6 for 8 wt sounds like a great steelhead choice and the Graphite IIs were some very strong rods. Sure there are lighter but if it's not beat to $&*t then I would jump on it for 75 bucks. I still use my 9' 9wt Sage Graphite I, it's heavy but it has a dream action and I have no plans of getting rid of it.

The beauty of the older Sages is they were moderate action and as a new caster you can really feel them load.

All that PLUS this rod is a part of Sage/Washington State history as it dates fairly close to the time when Sage began on Bainbridge Island, that's just good karma in my book....