The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 AM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough
Default Sage TXL-F and opinion on action?

Hey, so i am building a TXL-F and i am used to full flex rods like the orvis trout bum. i like that feeling when the whole rod bends when you get that big native trout on. What is your opinion on TXL-F?

I got the 1 wt TXL-F and i have a 3 wt trout bum that i use most out of my rods. will the mid-fast action 1wt make it feel like it is a full flex 3wt?

[IMG]C:\Users\Clayton\Pictures\phish\P9130451.JPG[/IMG]

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:54 PM ----------

fish fishy fisher

Last edited by iciclecreek; 09-28-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Probably not.

My experience is with the TXL, but I found they function like a mod-fast action rod in terms of casting rhythm and cadence. That is unless you overline the rod.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:33 PM

Jasonbu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage TXL-F and opinion on action?

I agree with ddombos. No, it will not feel like a full flex 3wt. I have a TXL-F in 3wt and one it 00wt also. Just got them recently, can't tell you too much about them. I can tell you the 00 has a much softer action than the 3wt. As a general rule, they both feel soft and smooth. The 3wt is quicker, throws a super tight loop with little effort. The level of sensitivity is amazing. You feel everything and instantly. I cast the 3wt against several rods and it was a stand out.
I also have a trout bum, I have the 795. Mine is rated as full flexing 4.0, I wouldn't refer to it as full flexing though. The older unsanded models are fantastic and have deeper full flexing character (cheap also).
Having owned and fished both the Trout Bums and the TXL-F, I think you will love the TXL-F. It's not stiff by any stretch, but it is quick. Loops are straight and smooth, just a natural caster. My 3wt loves Rio Trout Lt, Sage QDT3, and SA Sharkskin lines. You can also overline and underline these rods with good results. Enjoy that new rod...

Jb
Old 10-29-2011, 07:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage TXL-F and opinion on action?

My experiences are with the TXL, not TXL-F but I believe they're very similar. I actually had my mind made up on a Superfine Trout Bum and also cast the the TXL for comparison. I wound up with the TXL, it is just a cannon of a rod without being too fast. The Trout Bum is a sweet rod as well but I seemed to cast the TXL better so said the guy at the shop.

Big difference between the Superfine and the TXL in terms of action. I agree with Medium Fast on the TXL, the Superfine was a full flex so very different. My TXL loves the Trout LT as well.