The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 02:51 PM

waterman is on a distinguished road
Default Scott V2

I know there are many threads seeking opinions about entry level rods but I've not seen any on the Scott line. It is possible that I overlooked it but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with or an opinion on Scott's entry level med. action V2?

Fish On!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:04 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough
Re: Scott V2

I have about 20 rods in my garage. My Scott fly rod is the one I use about 90% of the time. However, it is the one that best fits my style. If you can, cast several rods and see which one works best for you.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scott V2

I totally agree with Tightlines. Find a good reliable
fly shop & cast several of that level of rod. Scott V2,
Sage Launch, TFO, Winston Vapor. Pick the one that
you feel works best in your hand. I personally own
several Scott rods & love them. I don't think you'll
find anyone on this site that would tell you any
different. That's one of the great things about this
sport, there's lots of equipment to choose from, but
the descision is up to you. One piece of advise I may
offer & I've said this before. If you are thinking that you
will be sticking with fly-fishing, then you may want to
buy rod(s) that have a lifetime warranty. Scott, Sage,
or one that offers it, it is well worth the extra few $$$

Tie One On
Old 04-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
I know there are many threads seeking opinions about entry level rods but I've not seen any on the Scott line. It is possible that I overlooked it but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with or an opinion on Scott's entry level med. action V2?

Fish On!
Hi Waterman,

It looks like you have done your home work. The V2 seems like a good rod but I have not cast it. It is a medium action and is a good choice for a first rod. Being made in America is a big plus and it comes with a lifetime warranty. You might find a medium-fast rod a better choice. You really need to cast one to make the best decision.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:32 AM

waterman is on a distinguished road

The guys at the fly shop were steering me towards the Scott A2, a step up from the V2 in the model line.
They are of the opinion that it is a big step up in rod quality especially for the reasonable step up in price.

Like you Frank, they feel the medium-fast action of the A2 may be a better choice.

This is definitely going to be a life time pursuit so a rod that performs well and lasts as my skill develops is important. Not to mention I do like the idea of a lifetime warranty!

I've been looking at Sage and St Croix as well but honestly have been leaning towards the Scott. I do need to go down to the shop and do some hands on comparisons now that I have an idea of which rods interest me.

Thanks to all of you for your valued opinions and advice! (on this thread as well as your other posts)
Old 04-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Waterman,

I think the A2 would be a much better choice. Here are two rods you might want to look at in that price range. Both of these rods have lifetime warranties. I am not saying that these two rods are better than the A2. I am just giving you some options.

The Echo2 comes with two tips. I don't think they are made in America. A board sponsor sells the Echo rods.

Click the image to open in full size.

The St Croix Ultra is a 4 piece rod using their SC-4 graphite. Some rod builders like this blank.

Click the image to open in full size.