The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 PM

drugcoder is on a distinguished road
Default Help me with my first rod...

When my grandfather passed away I inherited his fly reel. There was no rod with it. Seemed to me like a great time to get started fly fishing. I took the reel down to my local fly shop and asked to look at some entry level rods. I don't want to spend $200+ on a rod yet when I'm just starting out. The two that he initially showed me were a TFO rod which was a 2 piece, 9' 5wt priced at $79. I don't remember the name of the model. The second rod he showed me was a Greys 4 piece 9' 5wt priced at $89. Looking at their website I'm guessing it was the GS series.

Taking into consideration the other initial costs of getting started such as fly boxes, initial stock of flies, line, leaders, etc. etc... I really can't spend more than $140 on the rod itself.

Does anyone have any experience with the two rods that they showed me in the shop? Any rods in my price range that you like better?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:38 PM

blackbear will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help me with my first rod...

A fishing buddy of mine just purchased an 8' 4wt greys GS2. I fished the rod for a while and was pretty blown away at the price/quality ratio...I would go with the greys GS2 series with a 94.99 retail in a 9'5wt.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You can't go wrong with either the TFO rod (outstanding warranty) or the Greys rod.

Larry
Old 06-23-2010, 08:41 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

The two piece TFO would be the Signature series. It is a fine rod, and if it is being offered to you at $79 that's a bargain. It is a good deal at the list of $109, but at that price I don't know how you could pass it up.

While I can fish just about any TFO rod I want, I still find myself throwing the signature series quite frequently, and usually put the Signature rod in the holder when I have a client on board. It is the slowest rod in the line, but still comes in at the lower end of medium fast.

If you ever get into throwing weighted lines, it will serve you very well there, especially if you have any other rods by then that are faster. The slower rod will help you throw that weighted line while your cast mechanics are still developing.

Full disclosure - I'm on TFO Pro Staff, so they are all I fish. But I am Pro Staff because I fish them, I don't fish them because I'm Pro Staff. So, I don't know anything about Greys rods.

Good luck, welcome to fly fishing, and if you ever have questions about TFO products, don't hesitate to PM me or email me from our website.

Craig
Old 06-24-2010, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the info! Looks like I will more than likely go with the TFO. Is there any performance differences with a 2 piece vs a 4 piece rod? Is it just convenience?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:26 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't overlook the value of convenience. I've owned the same model rod in two piece and multi-piece, and couldn't really tell much of a difference. It is more convenient to assemble a 2-piece rod, but they always seem to bump into the doorway when I leave (I try to carry everything in one shot), and bang against my shins when walking to the car.

The TFO does not include a case, and a rod without a case is going to break. The Redington Classic Trout has received some very good reviews in this forum and others, and you can buy it from the forum's online shop. I believe shipping is free. I've been very tempted to buy/try one of those rods for about a month now. Just go to the Gear Reviews forum here, and you'll see Big Cliff's review.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:30 AM

I noticed the fact about not having a case with it. Although I'm not familiar with the cases that come with fly rods, I'm pretty familiar with the fact that if you want a decent case for whatever product you are trying to protect, you won't rely on the case that comes with it (especially when you're looking at the low end of the price range).
So, I'm planning on purchasing a good case to go along with the new rod. Good point though...
Old 06-25-2010, 11:53 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The Redington CT will come with as fine a case as you're likely to find on anything else. Some of the rod companies do have ridiculously cheap "cases" for their lower priced rods, and some of them are simply a thin plastic tube that is used to hold the rod on the display rack....
Old 06-25-2010, 04:11 PM

turner66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
The Redington CT will come with as fine a case as you're likely to find on anything else. Some of the rod companies do have ridiculously cheap "cases" for their lower priced rods, and some of them are simply a thin plastic tube that is used to hold the rod on the display rack....
+1

You will not need to replace the Redington CT case. It's as good as any of similar style. I bought a 8'6" 4wt out of curiosity about a month ago. Lots of good things have been said about the CT, and I "needed" another 4wt anyway Haven't fished it much cause my kid got hold of it and I haven't seen it since The only disappointing thing so far is the elastic "bungee" thing on the rod sock. One of the "bungee" ends has come unattached. Not a big deal, I'm going to replace it with a "tie style" ribbon like my others. Otherwise, based on the 20 minutes I got to fish it, the CT is a good medium action rod.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:45 AM

Excellent. Thanks for all the help! I will post again with what I end up with.