The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 04:09 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Z-Axis 8 wt.

What's your thoughts on a 9 ft. Z-Axis 8 wt. for great lakes salmon in Michigan?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:55 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: Z-Axis 8 wt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
What's your thoughts on a 9 ft. Z-Axis 8 wt. for great lakes salmon in Michigan?
9-8 is a great all around rod, good for Bonefish, Bass, Carp, Steelhead, and maybe Salmon ( a lot of guys prefer nines). My only hesitation is I prefer a longer rod, a 10' 8 weight or 9 1/2' 9 weight are about ideal for a single handed
Salmon rod. A lot of times you have to protect lighter tippets and the longer rod provides more shock absorber, it also makes mending easier, and if you're indicator fishing its easier handling rigs with long leaders under a float. The 9-8 Z-Axis is a great rod, but it will be just a good Salmon rod.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

The Z 8wt will make a great fly rod for great lakes salmon and steel. I've learned to prefer fast actions, for all my salmanoid fishing in lake michigan tribs. Like the above post there is a tendancy for softer tips/actions, but i prefer a long day of rollcasting to be done with a flick of the wrist. The faster the better IMO. Very subjective though.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:33 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

It will work fine for you; and if you decide to pull the trigger on a Z, now is the time. With the "One" now out, the Z-Axis is being discounted nicely.

Dan
Old 10-03-2011, 02:35 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
It will work fine for you; and if you decide to pull the trigger on a Z, now is the time. With the "One" now out, the Z-Axis is being discounted nicely.

Dan

It's hard to pass on the price for this caliber of rod.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:43 PM

If you had a choice, would you go with a 9ft. 8 wt. Z-Axis or a 9'6" 8wt. One rod?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
If you had a choice, would you go with a 9ft. 8 wt. Z-Axis or a 9'6" 8wt. One rod?
The 9-8 is a better all around rod, but the 9'6" is a much better Steelhead-Salmon rod. In fact it is the go to rod for most single handed West Coast Steelhead fisherman. It's amazing how much difference six inches in a rod can make for mending and line control.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:57 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
9-8 is a great all around rod, good for Bonefish, Bass, Carp, Steelhead, and maybe Salmon ( a lot of guys prefer nines). My only hesitation is I prefer a longer rod, a 10' 8 weight or 9 1/2' 9 weight are about ideal for a single handed
Salmon rod. A lot of times you have to protect lighter tippets and the longer rod provides more shock absorber, it also makes mending easier, and if you're indicator fishing its easier handling rigs with long leaders under a float. The 9-8 Z-Axis is a great rod, but it will be just a good Salmon rod.
I agree that a 9'6" rod or a 10 footer is the ideal rod for Great Lakes salmon fishing. Go for the 9'6" I seriously doubt you'll regret it.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I agree that a 9'6" rod or a 10 footer is the ideal rod for Great Lakes salmon fishing. Go for the 9'6" I seriously doubt you'll regret it. I landed an estimated 40 pounder (weight done by the formula) on a 10' 7wt Jim Teeny series TFO last year on the Oak in NY (No, I had no idea of the NY record weight I am used to AK kings) It was a battle, but managable. The 8wt should be fine.

Here is the pic....now, I am over 300 pounds, and wear a 54 suit jacket in this picture......it measured 40.5 long X 28 inch girth.

Click the image to open in full size.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:20 AM

indyflyguy is on a distinguished road

That would be a great rod for the Great Lakes, I fish that rod for carp. It can take a beating while still be very accurate on the long cast. Look online for discounted deals for the Z. Good luck!

Jason
Old 11-09-2011, 03:14 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i have a 9 weight bvk and ive casted the 7 weight bvk so i can infer that the 8 weight is the same. Id recommend the bvk over anything else