The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 PM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default Thomas & Thomas horizon II & Winston B3x actions

Can anyone who is familiar with these two fine rods give me a feel for them and their differences?
Thanks,
Nathan
Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 PM

blackbear will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Thomas & Thomas horizon II & Winston B3x actions

Yeah the T&T feels like a log compared to the b3x. I own a b2x and do like the b3x a little better.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Bear, what would you describe the action of the B3X compared to the B2X as?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I have no experience with the BIIIX, but do have experience with the T&T and the BIIX...

Neither rod is a bad rod persay, the Horizon II is definitely a faster/stiffer rod than the BIIX...

I will say this, while in Louisiana last week I had my Scott S4s 8 weight with me and I cast it side by side with my Friends BIIX 8 weight, the Scott was a lot lighter in general and especially in the tip, the swing weight of the BIIX was much much higher and I really disliked it when casting the two side by side. It's also a much lighter rod than the T&T I once owned and just as powerful...

What type of fishing are you trying to do with these rods, would make a difference in which one you would probably like more...

Last edited by kwb; 10-19-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:55 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The Scott S4s is a special rod with lots of feel, very well designed and built. T&T is under brand new ownership and is currently rolling out new graphite models in both salt, the Super fast TNT and sweet, the also potent NS. I do not have any personal experience with these new rods but respect the people involved with their development. Both will have more powerfull tapers than the fast for Winston but medium by other standards BIIIx.

Note to Winston fans: have you checked out Sweetgrass Rods? A former co-owner of Winston along with Tom Morgan, Glenn Bracket, started this company to build cane rods and Winston's graphite rod designer, Sam Druckman (originator of the Bx series), left Winston to join Sweetgrass and is rolling his own graphite rods up at the other end of Twin Bridges from Winston. This is a group of top-notch, no-compromise craftsman that don't advertise much and deserve a serious look....Oops! I was just going to insert their link here only to learn the Druckman has left Sweetgrass to start a new company, speaking of fast action:

Graphite Rods

Sam Drukman has recently left Sweetgrass to join a startup rod-building company called Freestone Rods. While we will miss his contributions to Sweetgrass, Sam has graciously agreed to handle repair work for any Sweetgrass graphite or fiberglass rods that are already in use. You may contact him at samdruk@yahoo.com.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
The Scott S4s is a special rod with lots of feel, very well designed and built. T&T is under brand new ownership and is currently rolling out new graphite models in both salt, the Super fast TNT and sweet, the also potent NS. I do not have any personal experience with these new rods but respect the people involved with their development. Both will have more powerfull tapers than the fast for Winston but medium by other standards BIIIx.

Note to Winston fans: have you checked out Sweetgrass Rods? A former co-owner of Winston along with Tom Morgan, Glenn Bracket, started this company to build cane rods and Winston's graphite rod designer, Sam Druckman (originator of the Bx series), left Winston to join Sweetgrass and is rolling his own graphite rods up at the other end of Twin Bridges from Winston. This is a group of top-notch, no-compromise craftsman that don't advertise much and deserve a serious look....Oops! I was just going to insert their link here only to learn the Druckman has left Sweetgrass to start a new company, speaking of fast action:

Graphite Rods

Sam Drukman has recently left Sweetgrass to join a startup rod-building company called Freestone Rods. While we will miss his contributions to Sweetgrass, Sam has graciously agreed to handle repair work for any Sweetgrass graphite or fiberglass rods that are already in use. You may contact him at samdruk@yahoo.com.
First time I've heard Morgan had anything to do with Sweetgrass. He has his own company- Tom Morgan Rodsmiths. It was Brackett, Kustich and the rest of the "Boo" boys that started it up. Didn't see eye to eye with Winston management.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:01 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Sory for lack of clarity, Mojo. It was Morgan and Bracket who owned Winston together. When they sold to the current owner Tom Morgan started his own Tom Morgan Rodsmiths with his wife and Glenn Bracket stayed on to run the Bamboo shop in the old building for Winston. Ultimatly, circumstances led to Glenn, Jerry Kustach and the "Boo Boys" to depart Winston and start Sweetgrass...Tom Morgan was never a part of this new company. My central point above was graphite oriented, hence my point that Winston's graphite designer of note, Sam Druckman, left the new Winston to work with the much revered, Bracket. Now Druckman is entering into a new rodmaking venture with three other noteworthy rod men called "Freestone" and their web site should be up and running in the near future I am told. They will design and hand-build cane and carbon rods using state-of-the-art technology and artistic craftsmanship (in the USA of course).

Mojo, from your other posts I gather that you pay a lot of attention to the finer points of graphite rods, who is building them and where. Do you (or anyone else) know who has taken over for Druckman at Winston? I have a sinking suspicion they don't have a Rod Designer and are simply mutating tapers and technologies introduced by previous creative minds. I also have noted that their once vaunted tread wraps have deteriorated to "industry standard" with a single glop of viscus finish overlaping onto the blank. Winston has a great history, great facility and a great shade of green but seems unable to hold on to their best people.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Sory for lack of clarity, Mojo. It was Morgan and Bracket who owned Winston together. When they sold to the current owner Tom Morgan started his own Tom Morgan Rodsmiths with his wife and Glenn Bracket stayed on to run the Bamboo shop in the old building for Winston. Ultimatly, circumstances led to Glenn, Jerry Kustach and the "Boo Boys" to depart Winston and start Sweetgrass...Tom Morgan was never a part of this new company. My central point above was graphite oriented, hence my point that Winston's graphite designer of note, Sam Druckman, left the new Winston to work with the much revered, Bracket. Now Druckman is entering into a new rodmaking venture with three other noteworthy rod men called "Freestone" and their web site should be up and running in the near future I am told. They will design and hand-build cane and carbon rods using state-of-the-art technology and artistic craftsmanship (in the USA of course).

Mojo, from your other posts I gather that you pay a lot of attention to the finer points of graphite rods, who is building them and where. Do you (or anyone else) know who has taken over for Druckman at Winston? I have a sinking suspicion they don't have a Rod Designer and are simply mutating tapers and technologies introduced by previous creative minds. I also have noted that their once vaunted tread wraps have deteriorated to "industry standard" with a single glop of viscus finish overlaping onto the blank. Winston has a great history, great facility and a great shade of green but seems unable to hold on to their best people.
I don't know who the designer is now that Sam is gone. The only new rods have been the BIIIx which I think Sam designed.
As for the bamboo rods, who in the hell would pay $2700- $3000 for a bamboo rod some gal (that had a 3 month or so apprenticeship from Brackett) made. Sweetgrass' rods are 2 grand to $2500 depending on tips. Who would you order from. The current owner Ojdenge or whatever the hell his name is, should sell Winston to someone who cares about the company. He bought ot from Morgan and Brackett in the '90's and it's gone down hill the past 5 years. It's all about the might buck.
I hope that T&T has some new owners that care so it can continue it's legacy.
Sorry for the hijack.
Now getting back to the op's original question- what exactly are you fishing for?
You've been asking questions about x vs. y rod, how a compares to b rod. So on and so on. And now this. What do you want. Very fast rod, medium fast rod, medium rod, slow. From your posts, you're into the upper end medium fast to fast.
What are you using now and do you like it. Is this a rod to take it's place or just
Another to add to your quill?
In the end it's up to you. Sorry for ranting, but we can't help without more info from you.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:19 AM

Not a hijack in my opinion, Mojo, but rather, this thread has morphed into something more interesting than the original question which was a bit apple and orangeie. Maybe it is time for a new thread...