The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 01:03 AM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who's 8 to 10 wt should go to Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhclayton View Post
I am facing the same question-- will be in Alaska last of August and didn't want to spend a lot of money on a heavy rod that I might not use again. I bought a Powell Tiboron II in 8 weight on ebay new for $150 without a warranty. If you want a warranty, Sierra Outpost has them for $300 or mail-order from Powell for $600. There have been quite a few 8 and 9 weights posted lately. I have used Powells for years, but had never tried the Tiboron-- figured for the money couldn't go too wrong. This rod is a rocket-launcher with a smooth action and is very well-made, equal to other premium rods I have used. It is made off-shore, if that is an issue to you. I am now looking for a 5 weight to be my tailwater rod on the San Juan. I also bought a reel on ebay-- picked up an Orvis Mid-Arbor new from a dealer for $95. I bought a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 from a dealer (also ebay) for $200 a couple months ago, which was more reel than I wanted to buy, but seemed like such a good deal, I snapped it up.
Sounds like a great deal! Since I've been traveling to the coast so much I've picked up a 5 piece Redington 8wt from Sierra Trading for very cheap to sit under the back seat of my truck, and it's been a real gem in the salt. Also last year BassPro had a close out of some of their xtream Golp Cup line of fly rods. Those are the shorter rods in the 7-12wt range. I bought a 8.5' 10 wt for less than a $100. I'm not sure how practical a shorter heavy weight would be in Alaska but it works great for big fresh water stripers. Ya'll have fun up north!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:51 PM

Joefishin is on a distinguished road

I will give a novices report on the Cheap Powell 10wt from Sierra.. Too be honest, I grabbed a Guide Select 12 wt, from Okuma, that makes the Powell look shabby. And, the rod comes with a sock, unlike the Powell. I will give it a fair review depending on its fishability, or its help in making me a better fly fisherman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idabelangler View Post
Sounds like a great deal! Since I've been traveling to the coast so much I've picked up a 5 piece Redington 8wt from Sierra Trading for very cheap to sit under the back seat of my truck, and it's been a real gem in the salt. Also last year BassPro had a close out of some of their xtream Golp Cup line of fly rods. Those are the shorter rods in the 7-12wt range. I bought a 8.5' 10 wt for less than a $100. I'm not sure how practical a shorter heavy weight would be in Alaska but it works great for big fresh water stripers. Ya'll have fun up north!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:30 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

Follow up report. Just got back from floating the upper Kenai river.
Lots of 18-24 inch rainbows as well as a bunch of foul-hooked Sockeye Salmon. My cheepie Powell was broken by an energetic 24 inch rainbow that put on quite an aerial display-- my drag was probably screwed down a little too tight, though. I don't know if this reflects badly on the rod, or whether it might have been weakened by banging around in the drift boat for several days. Now, with no warrantee, the $150 doesn't seem like such a good deal. Honestly, though this is the first time in 30 years of fly fishing that I have broken a rod. After using it a few days, I wasn't thrilled with the super-fast action. Great trip, however.