The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 01:15 PM

Joefishin is on a distinguished road
Default Who's 8 to 10 wt should go to Alaska?

I am looking to buy a multi piece travel fly rod, two actually. Would like one to be an 8wt, and another to be a bit more stout??? Fishing for salmon on Kodiak. Will try for a number of the species.

Have looked at St.Croix, Orvis, Albright, Marsh Brown, Temple Fork, and maybe a few others. I guess I would like a rod that is less prone to breakage, if there is such a thing, and one that is backed by a decent warranty, in case I screw up. My price range is up to $200 for the rod, and of course, I will need a equally good real for the reds, silvers, kings????.. What ever.. I am not looking to go nuts on this stuff as I am not sure when the next time I am going to be up that way again. (but I am counting the miles I am earning for a free flight!!) I do fish the North East for stripers and bonito, so the equipment won't go to waste.

This week I am taking some private lessons to help me develop some good skills casting.

Albright's Meridian is suppose to be a warranteed rod, but is too new for reviews. Anybody have any experience with this one?? Given the brands above, any proven winners in the 8-10wt range?

Not too sure about Reddigton's lower end.. Also, the ORVIS Clearwater 8wt wasn't that impressive to hold. Kind of reminds me of an Ugly Stik 10 wt with the flipping and flopping.. I have heard some good things about the Cabelas rods, the five piece pack rod in particular, but there is no definitive warranty period. If the Albright Meridian is going to be available with a liftetime,, then I might just go with that one if it is a decent rod.

Your help is appreciated.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who's 8 to 10 wt should go to Alaska?

Joefishin,
I would suggest one of the TFO rods. I have the TFO Pro and it is a great rod and casts very well even with my poor casting abilities. There price very nicely and should fit into you budget of $200. A very good rod. Order one for the Full Creel and you can get a 21 day trail.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-07-2007, 08:45 AM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road

In that price range I would definately go with the TFO. I own 4 in weights 2-9 and enjoy all of them.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I like TFO rods. I like ECHO rods even better. Price is very similar, and the actions are a bit smoother. The ECHO 2 rods would be a good choice for a trip like yours where a spare tip could keep you fishing after the first snaps. (not saying you probably will break a tip, but if a part of the rod is going to fail, 98% of the time its that part.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:26 PM

Thanks Cliff, I heard about the Echos today from Ed of Feathercraft in MO. He took the time to call and offered his knowledge even if I didn't buy anything.

He said the same thing about the tips giving up and having a spare with that brand, only. I will look into it.

Well, I did take a couple of hours of casting lessons tonight too. Good instructor and I didn't do too bad. Not ready for double hauls though. My single haul is kind of backasswards too... But, I have been worse.

One other thing, that Feathercraft company could teach some of the local rift raft a thing or two. Free casting lessons, and free fly tying lessons?? Here in the North East nothing is really free, nor are some of the proshops nice.

My two hours cost $80 bucks and seems to be the norm around here.

Probably would be cheaper just to buy the fish from the market!!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsalt View Post
In that price range I would definately go with the TFO. I own 4 in weights 2-9 and enjoy all of them.
I think they are good too. I did buy one of their heavier weight multi piece spinning rods for the trip. $100 bucks, best deal for the weight class. Half of everyone else. Lifetime warranty. JUST IN CASE THE WIND IS BLOWING TOO HARD!!! After dropping the ching for le$$ons, you bet your egg sucking leach I am going to use fly gear to try and catch fish.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Yellowstone Anglers Shoot outs!! 8 and 5 wts

I checked on the 8 wt shootout. Some interesting findings posted. I didn't look at the 5 wt yet, mainly cause I don't fish for trout, etc.. In my end of the country, there are decent size trout, but I doubt I would eat them with the pollution in the water..

Yellowstone Angler.. This is another dealer that I like. Even though they are more than half way across the country, they are good people to talk to and offer free shipping!
Old 05-20-2007, 05:49 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

I am facing the same question-- will be in Alaska last of August and didn't want to spend a lot of money on a heavy rod that I might not use again. I bought a Powell Tiboron II in 8 weight on ebay new for $150 without a warranty. If you want a warranty, Sierra Outpost has them for $300 or mail-order from Powell for $600. There have been quite a few 8 and 9 weights posted lately. I have used Powells for years, but had never tried the Tiboron-- figured for the money couldn't go too wrong. This rod is a rocket-launcher with a smooth action and is very well-made, equal to other premium rods I have used. It is made off-shore, if that is an issue to you. I am now looking for a 5 weight to be my tailwater rod on the San Juan. I also bought a reel on ebay-- picked up an Orvis Mid-Arbor new from a dealer for $95. I bought a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 from a dealer (also ebay) for $200 a couple months ago, which was more reel than I wanted to buy, but seemed like such a good deal, I snapped it up.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhclayton View Post
I am facing the same question-- will be in Alaska last of August and didn't want to spend a lot of money on a heavy rod that I might not use again. I bought a Powell Tiboron II in 8 weight on ebay new for $150 without a warranty. If you want a warranty, Sierra Outpost has them for $300 or mail-order from Powell for $600. There have been quite a few 8 and 9 weights posted lately. I have used Powells for years, but had never tried the Tiboron-- figured for the money couldn't go too wrong. This rod is a rocket-launcher with a smooth action and is very well-made, equal to other premium rods I have used. It is made off-shore, if that is an issue to you. I am now looking for a 5 weight to be my tailwater rod on the San Juan. I also bought a reel on ebay-- picked up an Orvis Mid-Arbor new from a dealer for $95. I bought a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 from a dealer (also ebay) for $200 a couple months ago, which was more reel than I wanted to buy, but seemed like such a good deal, I snapped it up.
That reminds me, I got my second order in from Sierra today, where is that 10 wt rod, the Powell, that I ordered for $99??

I will tell you, I am not impressed with two companies. Orvis and Sierra. Sure, sometimes you can land a deal, but, it seems like the left hand has no idea what the right is doing at both of these places. More to follow.

/
Old 06-13-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefishin View Post
That reminds me, I got my second order in from Sierra today, where is that 10 wt rod, the Powell, that I ordered for $99??

I will tell you, I am not impressed with two companies. Orvis and Sierra. Sure, sometimes you can land a deal, but, it seems like the left hand has no idea what the right is doing at both of these places. More to follow.

/
THE ROD SHOWED UP 15 MINUTES AFTER I POSTED THIS!!!

OK, so make a liar out me.. The rod feels different??? Kind of reminds me of an Orvis rod that I wasn't too impressed with. But, this one is much cheaper.. Will send reveiw when I fish it..

Also, my flys came from ORvis today.. They had a big sale and I stocked up..
The point I was trying to make before is that, both companies offer free shipping promos, but don't explain this to their staff who try and then soak you for shipping your order. Happened with both vendors over the last couple of weeks. Caveat emptor. KNOW YOUR PROMOS!!