The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice
Default Allen's new "myth" flyrod any early reviews?

I got email from Allen & Co. focusing on their new upcoming myth rods which apparently are not available yet. I also noted in the past they provided some rods to certain forum members for feedback ....just wondering if anyone has received and tested one of these yet ?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:43 PM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Allen's new "myth" flyrod any early reviews?

Walter,

Given the silence so far, I figured I would step in and let you know what's going on.

The Myth series has not been sent to anyone outside of our core group of testers (myself and a few VIPs/guides). There are a few members on the board who have our initial run of our NanoTi series, but not the Myth. The Myth is an updated, improved version of the NanoTi.

This rod is very light in the hand, has quick recovery in the action, and has an overall med-fast feel to it. It's slightly faster than our Xa series, but the lighter overall impression gives it a much more sensitive feel to it all around.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice

Thanks for the response. Any idea yet of the price point range for the rod ? and when it will be available? Just curious as I'm always looking to increase my arsenal.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter1023 View Post
Thanks for the response. Any idea yet of the price point range for the rod ? and when it will be available? Just curious as I'm always looking to increase my arsenal.
Pricing has not been released yet. But it will be just slightly above the pricing of the Xa rods.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

If Allen wants to make me a beta-tester on the new line, I fish 5+ days a week for a variety of species, I would do my best to shoulder the responsibility

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

A.J., does your major professor know you fish 5 days/week? LOL, I bird hunted 100 days/year while working on PhD. But I was a Research Assistant, not a T.A., so I didn't have to fool with all those undergrads and a teaching assignment, although some of them..NEVER MIND!
Gary
Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

She's just expecting some venison this season to make up for the time I send NOT working

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-28-2011, 09:06 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
If Allen wants to make me a beta-tester on the new line, I fish 5+ days a week for a variety of species, I would do my best to shoulder the responsibility
It is important for rod designers to get their prototypes into the hands of accomplished and analytical "field tester" anglers outside their immediate support group during the developmental process. Most of the big dogs do this but often make the error of using guides who fish but one habitat the same way most of the time. An angler that fishes diverse habitat frequently and is fluent in rod action versitility is a valuable asset. Only by getting outside critics to give input can designers escape the cronizim endemic among a circle of friends and develop superior rods and reels.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
It is important for rod designers to get their prototypes into the hands of accomplished and analytical "field tester" anglers outside their immediate support group during the developmental process. Most of the big dogs do this but often make the error of using guides who fish but one habitat the same way most of the time. An angler that fishes diverse habitat frequently and is fluent in rod action versitility is a valuable asset. Only by getting outside critics to give input can designers escape the cronizim endemic among a circle of friends and develop superior rods and reels.
You are correct, and this is how we are approaching our rod development. I live in an area with an abundance of varied fishing opportunities unlike anywhere else in the country. This makes for a very thorough testing process in development, among a very diverse group of anglers.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

We all look forward to learning more about your new rod series. Does it include a bonefishing model? Good luck