The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 10:34 PM

mrdamminator is on a distinguished road
Default New Rod Weight

I am about to buy a new rod but cannot decide between a 2 weight or a 3 weight. I fish for trout on the Chattahooche in Georgia and I think a 3 weight may be more ideal in case of windy days but I feel that a 2 weight could provide some great fun. Anyone have experience with 2 weights? Any suggestions?
Old 05-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rod Weight

What size are the fish you will target with it?

In general, 2 or 3 weight rods are a blast on good days but I wouldn't have one for my one and only rod. On windy days, you will want something with more punch like a 5wt.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 06-12-2007, 09:53 AM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

I just got back from a trip to fish the San Antonio where it comes up out of the ground as an artesian spring in the Valles Caldera National Preserve in New Mexico. Lots of smallish, eager browns in a beautiful setting. A 3 weight was perfect until the wind came up, and then it became very difficult to accurately place the flies for good drifts. I have never fished a 2 weight, but it is hard to imagine that you need anything less than a 3, which made these little 10 inchers feel like big trout.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdamminator View Post
I am about to buy a new rod but cannot decide between a 2 weight or a 3 weight. I fish for trout on the Chattahooche in Georgia and I think a 3 weight may be more ideal in case of windy days but I feel that a 2 weight could provide some great fun. Anyone have experience with 2 weights? Any suggestions?
I have a Sage LL 2 wt. I absolutly love it. In fact I gave the old man my Shelbyville 3wt (to use) because this 2wt will do anything the 3 would.
I have landed 17" Brown with it (I had to run the river bank a little, but that was part of the fun).
I know they don't make the LL anymore (big mistake in my opinion) but it is a med/med-fast action and it works just fine on windy days. I am also able to cast smaller nymphs with no problem.