The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 01:10 PM

sticks is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Anyone know about Scott rods

hello,

This is my first time sending a message as I am a new member, but i love the site and I am sure I will meet some really nice people...
My question is what rod should I use on the coast-line along Los Angeles?
Im new to the salt water aspect and wanted to know what rod to buy. I have a Scott now a 5wt. But I realy want a salt water rod so if anyone can tell me that would be great or something better for the price?

Thanks again guys/girls and I will up date all on my trips...

sticks.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:13 PM

sticks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone know about Scott rods

Thank you and I will check in soon
Old 05-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Sticks,

If you like the Scott rods just get one of their saltwater models. Scott has made its reputation on their saltwater rods. I don't know of any manufactorer who doesn't make a good saltwater rod. You didn't state a price so take a look at the Scott S3S rod. I like any rod made in the US.

Click the image to open in full size.
Scott S3S Saltwater/Big Game Series
Scott collaborated with dealers and pros to develop a powerful saltwater rod with serious capabilities for serious anglers. Scott started with essential characteristics of low swing weight and lifting power, and layered on faster actions resulting in higher line speeds. Now you can own a saltwater rod that's comfortable to cast and delivers flies with mind bending speed and accuracy. The 4-piece configuration lets you transport these rods easily - across the globe or down to your local striper rip - with equal ease.
  • Hollow internal ferrules
  • Fast casting action
  • High modulus graphite with full ARC reinforcement and toughened epoxy resin
Old 05-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Scott makes great rods, for both trout and heavier duty fishing. I've got a Scott 9wt that I love, and hope it holds up forever. I would go with an 8wt for general purpose West Coast surf fishing. Make sure to get a sinking line as well, floaters don't work in the surf.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:50 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Sticks:
My POV is flats... florida and bahamas and I fish Sage RPLX 8 8'9" (Bonefish);TCR 9 and 10, Loomis GLX 8 and Winston XTR 3 piece 11 and 12
Assuming you have developed your saltwater cast, Scott, Sage, Loomis, Orvis, and Winston in their respective saltwater rods are excellent. A saltwater 10 wt would be my choice if I only had one rod that's because it is better in the wind and every time I reach for my 8 or 9 for permit or even bonefish in key west my guide tells me use the 11 wt (an old 3 piece XTR Winston) "you get the fly in front of the fish with that rod better than all the others and I'll put on three feet of light tippet and they won't know you're casting an 11" and it's my go to Tarpon rod for the same reason it works for me.

My point is try all of the above in saltwater specs in 10wt...same for 8 or 9 don't assume that all intra brand wts will have the same feel in your cast and haul....then get the one that fits your casting style ...you get the fly to the fish with any of those in saltwater specs and you will catch fish
Old 05-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

While a 10wt would not be overkill for the California surf conditions, it would be overkill for most species caught, and would wear on one's body over the course of a fishing day. Using a heavier rod for sightcasting is one thing, swinging it over 500 times over the course of a day of blind casting is quite another.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:47 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
While a 10wt would not be overkill for the California surf conditions, it would be overkill for most species caught, and would wear on one's body over the course of a fishing day. Using a heavier rod for sightcasting is one thing, swinging it over 500 times over the course of a day of blind casting is quite another.
Clifford:
For me fly fishing is sight fishing whether it be a flats tarpon or a native trout on an adams...accordingly I would never perform 500 blind castings with a flyrod...for me such effort is better enjoyed with plug casting or spinning which I also enjoy. IMHO flyfishing is an art form with many humbling experiences...it is neither meat fishing nor quantitaive fishing...

I enjoy both meat(that I eat) and quantity...as a boy I recall a catch of a large buffalo which my grandmother placed in an old tub and fed it old bread until she believed it was purged...took one bite and left the table...also recall much later a dusk caught brown on my wes jordan 7wt which I sighted...was told that larger browns were regularly caught at nite...but said I could not see the fish...to which I was regarded with distain...then much later I hooked my first sighted tarpon on a fly and I was hooked
Old 05-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Well Done. I agree that for many blind fishing applications, conventional tackle is a better way to go. I would love to have all my fishing occur only in sight fishing situations, but wouldn't dare trade that for the time I get to take my chances with blind casts in opaque water.