The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: A Thread for the Bamboo Rod People;

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
A few months ago, I bought a reconditioned Montague that is 8ft and 5-6wt. I have a Pflueger summit reel for the wf6 line and an Okuma sierra for the dt5 line. I'm still getting used to it, the "slow motion casting" is slowly improving. On my summer trip to NE New Mexico, I just hadn't had time to get my cast down and I found myself going back to my fast graphite to get any accuracy. After many hours in the backyard, I feel myself "feeling" the rod work for me. Hey, this sounds a lot like my golf swing, slow down and let the club do the work! It feels good when it all comes together........
The old Monte's were heavy and slow. Mostly built for wet fly fishing. One trick you might want to try is just cast it from 10 to 1 o'clock when you practice. Stop at those points and watch the rod load up. Timing baby, timing.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:30 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I have 2 bamboo shorter rods 6 and 7 feet. It has taken me a little to get used to but I do not use my graphite rods nearly as much. I am hoping to get a 8'3 quad bamboo next year to round out my bamboo rods, until I fall in love with another rod. There is something magical to fishing handcrafted pieces of art.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A friend of mine used to fish with the old Edwards Quad rods, he had several and loved them. I've seen some new quads and they are beautiful. When I lived in Pennsylvania I used the cane rods about 80% of the time and only fished with the graphite rod when throwing feather wing streamers using a Spey style cast. I spent a lot of time on a pretty big creek where wading was prohibited and there was no room for a back cast and always thought that the casting would be too stressful for the cane rods. When I moved to AK. my first rod purchase was a 1964 Orvis light salmon, an 8' 6" with a 4" fighting butt. The rod is an 8 weight and is strong enough to take salmon fishing with no worries. I know what you mean about enjoying the feel of the rods,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-26-2011, 12:08 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I was just looking over fleabay and came across a few Payne Wet Fly Salmon rods. I was curious as to how these were meant to be cast, I notice most spey rods are built with spliced ferruls opposed to the standand due to the ammounts of torque applied with the casts. Is it that when these rods were made the lines were much different and therefor they could handle a two handed cast or were they intended for overhead and mild roll casting?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bill,

I went and took a look, judging by the grips and lengths of the rods I'll hazard a guess here. I doubt those rods were designed as Spey rods. Likewise I would doubt they would stand up to the sort of casting styles that are consistent with modern Spey casting with graphite rods. They appear to have strong shafts making them very capable of playing and landing salmon and were likely designed for rather short range (by todays standards) casting & fishing.

I have a 1964 Orvis Light Salmon #8. The rod is 8' 6" with 2 fighting butts, one butt is 2" and the other 4". With the 4" butt inserted the rod vaguely resembles a 2 hand rod but it is essentially a single hand rod and is cast that way. You can make some fine roll cast with it using a sort of soft snap T style but I'm more comfortable either over head casting or using simple roll casts. These two Payne's are longer so they were probably meant to be used in a 2 hand style but I suspect their strong suit would be the same casting style I use with my Orvis rod.

Actually the rod that is kinda broken up (needing re-dressed and with missing tip top) seems a bit over priced given its condition. The 'Lightly Fished' rod is indeed in great shape but the price would dictate how I would be using it. The only real way to understand the capabilities of the rod would be to buy it (Ouch!) and take it fishing. After a day on the river with the correct line you would fully understand what it can do.

Not really an answer, more an opinion based on a layman's experience,

Ard

Old 11-26-2011, 08:47 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Thats what I was thinking too but then I came across a few 12 footers on another site where the rods either had a traditional step down or what I think it was called a lock tight? Yeah that lightly fished Payne 221 is a beauty though way out my budget but sure nice to look at!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputinj View Post
I have 2 bamboo shorter rods 6 and 7 feet. It has taken me a little to get used to but I do not use my graphite rods nearly as much. I am hoping to get a 8'3 quad bamboo next year to round out my bamboo rods, until I fall in love with another rod. There is something magical to fishing handcrafted pieces of art.
It would be nice if you get that Quad to post a few pictures. Have you ever shopped the old Edwards Quad rods? Some are fine casting rods and can be had within reasonable pricing yet.

Ard

Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

A couple of questions on the cane rods. Whats the smallest line wt rod that was being made in the cane stuff? I've got a couple of cane rods but dont fish em as they need repair. For those really interested in the history of the cane rods and their builders from way back there is a book worth reading on the subject that i'm sure you will enjoy. "Casting a Spell" by George Black. You can thank me later. I see a rod made by a guy name of Frost. Anyone have any experience with one of his rods? They are beautiful. Sort of presentation looking to me.
Eddy
Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Bill,

This will square you away for line conversions; Fly line conversion to old-style letter

As for brands the old Heddon Black Beauties are on my list, look for an HDH or HEH and you'll love it.................
I have a Heddon Black Beauty and in mint condition as I remember. Bought it many years ago when collecting antique tackle at a garage sale. Don't know if I have it here or in storage in Oklahoma...Will have to look for it!

Dave
Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Hi Dave,

I'm no Heddon expert but what I have always been understanding is that the Black Beauty is among the best they put out. They made this series in glass and cane.

Eddy,

I am far from an expert or even a collector; I don't know the name Frost when it comes to rods. I've had a mixed bag since I was a kid, the ones I use were made by the Orvis company. There are a lot of makers I've never heard of I'm sure.

Ard