The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A Thread for the Bamboo Rod People;

Sometimes it's hard to keep the conversation going and come to a new topic at the same time. I don't remember a Bamboo thread recently so here's one for all the people who fish Wood.

What makes, what weights, and what species do you fish for with them. After we wade through that; what reel did you match to the rods, and anything else you want to post on the topic. I have 4 of them that are finished and I think there are 2 sets of blanks stored around here somewhere that need to be made into rods. Once I see if this attracts some interest I'll post some pictures of rods and reels.

This is a 1964 Orvis Light Salmon 8 weight, length with butt extension is 8' 10" and the fish are silver salmon of the 13 - 15 pound class. many people believe that bamboo rods are too fragile for big fish but I have even blundered into a silver when using my 6' 6" 3 weight and the rod lived to fight another day. I did handle that situation with kid gloves and was more than a little worried when I saw the fish move on my little streamer. I was trout fishing a small creek when this happened.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

A few more pictures; an 8' #6 custom build by Orvis.

Click the image to open in full size.

Not a good picture but better than none (maybe) of the flea.

Another of that flea rod;

The reel seat and trim.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-03-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Thread for the Bamboo Rod People;

My fishing partner won't use anything else but cane in the sweet water. Besides his handmade rods, he has a small collection of classics.
I on the other hand have a much more blue collar POV.
I have two bamboo rods and one more "in restoration"(4 years).
The last time I fished cane, I was using a newly restored rod and it was the first time out. I remember stopping to talk to another flyfisherman on the water and purpousely holding my newly restored rod in front of me so as to be sure this man would see my handywork.

That's not like me and afterwards I so embarassed for myself that I've not only not finished the number 3 rod in restoration, but I've never fished that #2 rod or any other cane again
Old 11-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the rods are necessarily showpiece items, if you get used to using them they become like any other rod. Sometimes I have ran into another fisherman while using one and was ask "is that a bamboo rod", granted this can be sort of awkward but I just answer the question. Many of the places I have sought out to fish there was no one to see the rod except me so they became normal fare to me.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:12 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I have an Orvis Battenkill 4 w. A beautiful and functional fishing tool. Bamboo is a lot stronger than people ( that have never fished them) realize. Matched up with a good balancing reel, a good line, it's hard to describe the feel of fishing grass. Slow down the cast, and let the rod do the dancing. It's like trying to describe the feel of a Harley Davidson. You have to experience it to appreciate it.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Administrator

I have tried to describe fishing a brush choked brook with my Flea as 'slow motion casting' you have absolute control on both fore and back cast because you can control the speed. I have had countless people tell me they can do the same thing with a 9' graphite rod Yeah right! I've always told them I won't even fish I'll just bring some beer and watch. I don't believe they really know what I mean by tight places.

With the little cane rod I don't pass by good water while searching for a place I can cast. I can cast darn near anywhere.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:35 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

A few months ago, I bought a reconditioned Montague that is 8ft and 5-6wt. I have a Pflueger summit reel for the wf6 line and an Okuma sierra for the dt5 line. I'm still getting used to it, the "slow motion casting" is slowly improving. On my summer trip to NE New Mexico, I just hadn't had time to get my cast down and I found myself going back to my fast graphite to get any accuracy. After many hours in the backyard, I feel myself "feeling" the rod work for me. Hey, this sounds a lot like my golf swing, slow down and let the club do the work! It feels good when it all comes together........
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I've been flirting with the notion to refinish a flebay rod but I've been warned about a few "production" rods but have also been told that the boo, as long as its tonkin, is the same and just the hardware that makes the rod junk. Obviously taper is another consideration but the thing that gets me confused is the line ratings on the older rods. Can anyone decifer them for me, as in terms like HCH and the like? It also seems really hard to find a lighter weight rod that isn't a Leonard, Dickerson, or another top shelf builder. I've been told to keep an eye out for Phillipsons, Heddons, and obviously Grangers but what others should I keep an eye out for?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Hi Bill,

This will square you away for line conversions; Fly line conversion to old-style letter

As for brands the old Heddon Black Beauties are on my list, look for an HDH or HEH and you'll love it.................

Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

You're the man Ard!!! Thank you!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:30 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Since Ard started the thread, I have an old rod that I haven't used much. It is a Courtney Riley Cooper, I think made by South Bend. 8'6" 3 pc for HDH line. I had a medalist reel with a 6DTF line for it but my son is using the reel and line.

Any suggestions for an appropriate/worthy reel and line for the rod, since winter appears to have arrived here?