The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2007, 06:43 PM

zstone07 is on a distinguished road
Default help with new rod

I have about $450 dollars to spend on a new rod/reel outfit. I'm pretty sure its gonna be a TFO Lefty Kreh series, but i could be convinced otherwise. I'm also trying to decide on a weight. I have a 7'6'' 5 weight and I'm not sure where to go from there. I live in Texas, so I'm leaning towards an 8 weight. I also fish in Colorado for trout. Which makes me think I should get another 5 or 6 weight or maybe a 4 weight. Any advice and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:01 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: help with new rod

What kind of fishing are you going to primarily do? An 8 wt seems heavy to me.....you can fish bass with a 6 wt even a 5 depending on the size of the fish....If you are fishing in Colorado....a 9 ft 5 wt is probably the most common rod.... If you fish bass and trout a 6 wt would be a good compromise. Your 7.5 5wt...would make a good smalll steram trout rod.......i don't do coastal fishing but if you are interested in that...an 8 wt might be too small....by the way I have the lefty kreh TiCr in a 9 ft 5 wt and I haven't found anywhere I can't fish it...it is a great wind rod and i have used it on small streams, the Platte in Colorado as well as wading and drifting the Snake River... I would highly recommend this rod
Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Take a look at the Echo rods designed by Tim Rejeff. The Echo2 comes with 2 tips. One a distance tip and one an accuracy tip. I don't own any (fish mainly 'glass) but I spent quite a few hours casting them. I do know the 5w is under $300 and was given some award for the best casting rod for that price by American Angler magazine. Independant testers.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:05 AM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

Where you are located, an 8 might be a bit heavy to get much use out of. I'd consider going light from what you already have. The Lefty Finesse is great in the 3 and 4. I lubs me 3wt.

On the other hand, if you want to go a bit heavier for some of those big TX largemouth, I say get a 7wt.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi zstone07,

Here is a thought. Get a 9' 5w and you can use your same reel and line on that rod. Take the money you save and put it into a higher grade rod. If you want to fish lakes buy another spool for your reel and get a sink tip line.

If you are going to primarily fish bass and saltwater, I would get an 8' weight.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

zstone07,
Check out The Full Creel Fly Shop when you get the chance. He carries the full line of TFO Rods, reels, and combos.

He also has Echo Rods

Plus The Full Creel offers you 21-Day Test Drive Plan and FREE Shipping with $100 Purchase.

All of the above comments are great advice. I use a 7wt for most the warm water fishing I do in TX. I also have an 8wt that I take on occassion. It all depends on the type of water you will be fishing. In CO will you be fishing small streams or big rivers? I think the all around trout fly rod would be the 9' 5wt. But it may not serve you well on a small stream depending upon your casting style and experience level. I lean toward a 4 wt for my trout fishing and if on small streams enjoy using a 3wt. I would look at the TFO Pro or Finesse series I think you will find something that suits you.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I agree that a 8wt is way too much for most fishing, and definitely too much for 98% of fishing in Colorado. That short 5wt you've got will work for small streams, and actually is very well suited to fishing in the Hill Country, on the upper Guad, the Blanco, the Medina, and similar rivers. Short rods don't work as well for fishing nymphs for trout, because they aren't great for line control, but they are more accurate casters. Fishing for bass and panfish places more of a premium on casting accuracy than drift control, since they tend to hang tight to cover, and love to ambush a fly shortly after it has hit the water. Being a 5wt, it will turn over larger poppers and streamers fairly well.

I think a 9' 4wt is the ideal trout rod for most purposes, becuase it can present flies delicately, manage line well, and still cast weighted nymphing rigs.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like you are well covered for Colorado trout fishing with your 71/2"
5 wt. as long as you are wading. Since you live in Texas, you will probably
spend most of your time fishing for bass. I'd suggest concentrating on a
bass outfit, 6 or 7 wt in 8.5' to 9'. This would also double for trout fishing from a drift boat or in the larger Colorado rivers. Best of luck.
Has anyone tried Cabela's LST rod? Have only seen the pix in the catalog,
looks a lot like a Loomis to me. Any thoughts ?