The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM

fredy is on a distinguished road
Default St Croix Switch rods any one here ever cast one?

Hello,
So I am considering a 6 or 7 wt switch rod. I see a lot of people using the TFO's. I was checking some specs and the TFO's are slightly heavier than the St Croix (St Croix are 5oz). I have St Croix spin rods and like them very much, just not familiar with their fly rods.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Fredy
Old 11-18-2011, 12:09 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: St Croix Switch rods any one here ever cast one?

The only thing I can say is that I love St. Croix rods. Though I've never cast on of their spey rods, I love their other rods.

I'm not sure what kind of spey line you're buying. If you're buying a Scandi rod I think you want something with a somewhat softer tip, a spey rod that bends down to the middle and into the butt. If you're buying a Skagit line you probably want a spey rod with a stiffer action.

Randy
Old 11-18-2011, 01:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but you have to use the 'top end' of their grain range for lines (Scandi's), then they're cannons.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:29 AM

fredy is on a distinguished road

The action on the Imperial Switch rods is considered "Fast" on the St Xroix site. As far as the flex on the rod I would not know. Most of the shops around here do not carry them, I would have to buy it on line or order one from my local shop.

I am sure if I were to purchase the rod I could bring it down to my local "Spey" shop to help me line it.

I would like to use it for Steelhead indi rig, swinging flies for Steelhead up here is not that productive according to the local experts. I dont know if that would make a difference in lines. I also would like to use it for Smallies on the Main Deleware River.

I was hoping some one had some experience using these rods. I am not sure id they are sloppy noodles or stiff 2x4's??

Fredy
Old 03-31-2013, 04:28 PM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road

I've been considering a St. Croix Imperial switch rod, so I'm going to bump this older thread back to the top to see if anyone has had any experience with these rods over the past couple years. Like the original poster, I'm a fan of St. Croix rods, and am looking at this rod for indicator fishing for steelhead and for smallmouth (both rivers and lakes). I'd also like to try 2-handed casting streamers for trout on some of the bigger western rivers that i normally hit each summer (Wind River in Wyoming, etc).

Does anyone have any feedback on these rods - I'm specifically interested in the 11' 7wt. We have a local shop that can help me matching the correct line to the rod if I buy one, but there isn't anyone local that carries much of a selection of St. Croix fly rods (a bit odd since they're made only about 100 miles away??).
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ryan
Old 09-18-2013, 05:37 AM

skinnytrucker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty140 View Post
I've been considering a St. Croix Imperial switch rod, so I'm going to bump this older thread back to the top to see if anyone has had any experience with these rods over the past couple years. Like the original poster, I'm a fan of St. Croix rods, and am looking at this rod for indicator fishing for steelhead and for smallmouth (both rivers and lakes). I'd also like to try 2-handed casting streamers for trout on some of the bigger western rivers that i normally hit each summer (Wind River in Wyoming, etc).

Does anyone have any feedback on these rods - I'm specifically interested in the 11' 7wt. We have a local shop that can help me matching the correct line to the rod if I buy one, but there isn't anyone local that carries much of a selection of St. Croix fly rods (a bit odd since they're made only about 100 miles away??).
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ryan
I just purchased my first switch rod last wknd and its a St. Croix Imperial 11 ft 7 wt. haven't used it yet because I'm now saving up for a reel to put on it. I contacted Rio about line for it via Facebook and they recommended there new line called "Switch Chucker". Not sure if I will use it or go with the standard switch line the have. I'll let you know.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I have had 3 St Croix fly rods, no switch rods but I had a 3wt Avid, and both a 4&5 wt Legend Ultra. All are fantastic rods, I actually I use my 4wt legend ultra over my 4wt Zaxis and 3wt ONE real regularly now.

The only "issue" I had with St Croix was I busted the 3wt like a dumby and it took 5 weeks for repair. I had to buy another rod just to go fishing.

Now that I have a copious amount of rods the 5 week wait wouldn't be as painful.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:25 AM

w_boughner is on a distinguished road

I have a st-croix switch and it definitely is a fast rod !!! It's like using a broom stick !! You can use traditional lines but you need to go up 2-3 wts !! 7wt u need 9-10 pending on how you like to feel your rods to load you can use scandi and skaget for shooting it way out there but if you fist want a longer trout rod just up your line wt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-18-2013, 12:19 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Not a fan of the st. croix double handers. If it was between them and the TFO deer creek I would go TFO all day. However, If I were you I would take a look at the redington prospector series of switch rods. They are in the same price range and far superior in performance. Redington is a sister company of sage, its thier economical series of rods. Sage has been making double handers since the early 80's when spey fishing first came to the USA. Moral of the story, Sage Redington RIO knows a thing or two about double handed rod building.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:08 PM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road

I ended up buying the Imperial Switch 11' 7wt early this year. I've used it around home for smallmouth some, with limited success (more like casting practice on the river) and got a chance to use it for trout on the Bighorn last week. A local fly shop here helped me get it set up with an Echo Ion reel and a Skagit Switch 420 gr setup.

It does seem pretty stiff overall, but it is the only switch rod I've ever casted on the water so it's tough to compare. It would certainly take a 9 or 10 wt traditional line to load the rod at all for single-handed casting, but from what I understand that typical for switch rods.

Overall the rod seems to be a good performer... I say that based on the fact that if I manage to put together a cast that "feels" right, it zips the line out nicely. Unfortunately, that feeling is still a bit rare as I try to self-teach myself spey casting.

ryan