The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Freestone Rods

In this rod forum we discuss all manor of rods; new, used, modest priced and top tier...like Sage, Loomis, Winston, Scott, etc. There is a new rod company who's web site has just gone up called "Freestone Rods"

Located in Montrose, CO, the company is a consortium of 4 rod men who have been around the block making both cane and carbon rods with supurb crafstmanship. The grahite designer/builder, Sam Drucknman, may be known to many of you as the guy responsible for Winston's move into contemporary actions with the B...x series of rods. He left Winston a few seasons back to join with Glenn Bracket and Jerry Kustach at "Sweetgrass Rods" and is now a principle with this new company. His history is rich and, along with his partners, it is impresivly outlined on their web site.

These graphite rods feature some unique construction details and finish work that sets them apart from the fine work done by the top US makers mentioned above. Their price of $1,250.00 (gulp) reflects this difference too.

There is a lot to read and think about on their site. Check it out and lets share our impressions prior to any of us haveing the opportunity to cast their rods.

Last edited by mcnerney; 11-22-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Link is basically advertising and not a business member
Old 11-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freestone Rods

Nice rods...the cane rod is a beauty...but too expensive for me
Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Great lookin rods, but pricey!

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-21-2011, 06:33 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

I dont expect we'll see those in the cabelas cataloge any time soon....

edit: On a real note they seem to be marketing to a segment of the fly fishing elite (money), and probabaly will sell a few rods. I must say the workmanship looks fantastic. Will they perform better than other rods half the price? Unlikely.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:02 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I have no interest at that price if I were going after a top end custom rod it would be a Burkie.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:55 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Once I was going fishing with a buddy in his 4Runner and a Ferrari screamed by us. Wow, is that cool!, I said. Why? he inqired. You can't fit assembled rods in it and it costs mega$. I don't want to buy it, I said, but it is an amazingly artistic technological acomplisment and I would sure love to drive it.

These Freestone graphites employ different ferrule designs for sections based on placement and diameter, have internal inserts to register ferrules correct placement, employ the technological expertise and fabrication methods of Gary Loomis and are co-designed by two brilliant young designers working in both natural and synthetic mediums. The cosmetics are unlike anything else available in graphite except, perhaps, that Ferrari.

With Sage, G.Loomis and, yes, Burkheimers rods edging up towards $800 the jump to $1250 seems improbable. Hardy's original (made in England) Angel rod was over a grand too and did not penetrate the market on these shores effectivly. We will see how this new company prospers at this stratospheric price point but, for now, I call our attention to it to ultimatly determin if they have taken our beloved fly rod to a new level of performance and quality.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Send one out for atrial run for a couple of weeks so we see how great they are. If they are $500.00 better than rest . Than we will talk. But not my $1200.00 first. If they are confident enough the rod they do that.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:24 AM

johnjac is on a distinguished road

people sure have a lot of criticism for not being able to afford one of these rods or even holding one of these rods. As for me i have actually held one of bernards rods cast it and fished it. the very next thing i did was get rid of all the other rods i had as gifts to family and i now exclusively fish a freestone 906. it out performs any other rod i have ever cast by a longshot. stop bickering over price and buy one of these rods they change the way you think a rod should feel act and perform
Old 12-03-2011, 10:10 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjac View Post
people sure have a lot of criticism for not being able to afford one of these rods or even holding one of these rods. As for me i have actually held one of bernards rods cast it and fished it. the very next thing i did was get rid of all the other rods i had as gifts to family and i now exclusively fish a freestone 906. it out performs any other rod i have ever cast by a longshot. stop bickering over price and buy one of these rods they change the way you think a rod should feel act and perform
No different than a Tom Morgan rod. Same price range. If you can afford it and want it, then by all means get it. If you like to fish with $50 rods, that's great. But I agree and negative comments about the high price rods like these should have no place in any forum because, face it, there's a butt for every seat.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:10 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

WOW, johnjac. coming in a little strong for a first post. im willing to bet that most of us can "afford" one of these if we really want one but most of us are looking for a bargin and not just buy the most expensive things they can find. Rods are like kids, you never think you have enough money to have them but if you really want them you make it work.