The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 01:09 AM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough
Default 11 footers?

Have any of ya'll fished much with 11' single handed rods (not spey) in say the 5 or 6 wt range? If so could you tell me a little about them: like how well they load, could you tell a big difference mending the line, strike detection differences, stuff like that????

Thanks
Old 06-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 11 footers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idabelangler View Post
Have any of ya'll fished much with 11' single handed rods (not spey) in say the 5 or 6 wt range? If so could you tell me a little about them: like how well they load, could you tell a big difference mending the line, strike detection differences, stuff like that????

Thanks

I fish a 10' 5wt. and I love it. I am looking to get a switch stick in a 4wt now and 11' would be nice.
I also have a 10' 8wt, but it has a removable 3" fighting butt.
I think the longer rods have a lot of advatages. I fish a river that is covered with shrubs, trees, weeds, long grass and a cliff of about 3'. I can basically hi-stick this water because there is no way for a normal cast and can't lift the rod up from over hanging trees for a roll cast. Works great.
Plus on the Provo, even on very windy days, I can work the whole water column from right in front to the other side with no problem and mending is a breeze.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:53 PM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough

Thanks Joni! I'll be using mine mainly for high sticking and czech nymphing on BIG sections of our rivers. Did you find any added distance while overhead or roll casting?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Mike,
Good to see your still around here. I've been considering getting the TFO Pro 10' 5wt for myself to fish the same stretch of water your talking about. What 11' rod are you looking at buying or are you going to make a cane rod?
Thanks,
Terry
Old 06-18-2007, 10:29 AM

Terry I already have it ordered and hopefully I can use it this week before the weekend and the crowds. It's called Cabela's Traditional Fly Rods it's an 11'er and a 6wt. It cost 89.99 which was in my budget so I thought I would get it a shot for the Czech nymphing I like to do.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking at Dan Craft for that 11', but there are some others out there. As far as helping cast and roll cast farther....BIG TIME! As long as there are no branches over head LOL.

It will be Graphite however. Glass or Boo is just gonna be too noodlie or heavy.