The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single foot guides Vs. Snake guides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
For competive ACA casting tournments, most distance casters use single-foot guides, less friction, less weight (so the rod, in effect, become faster).

IMHO, single-foot guides are not as durable.

Randy
Lighter - yes, that is easy to understand, though I question if it is discernible on an average 9' rod.

But how is there less friction? I assume you mean less friction between the line and guide...which is a hoop that the line passes through. I do not see how a single foot hoop has any less surface and friction than a two footed hoop.

I think it is marketing hype. I will always prefer snakes for the extra strength of the connection of the guide to the blank over the fractions of ounces a single foot offers.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5977 View Post
I can see a durability issue with the single foot guide. If you bend it by running them into something, then try to straighten them out (too many times), it is possible to fatigue the guide and break it off.
I agree exactly.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I had a couple of factory-built rods with single foot guides. While I didn't notice any Wow Factor in terms of casting, the single foot guides were more prone to hang up on branches and such while walking with the rod pointed foward. Some might say, "Learn how to carry the rod," things like boat gunwales can catch single foot guides as well. Wrapping them properly would help durability, but I've never seen a factory rod that had the proper Forman wrap (I think that's the proper term...Dan???).
Ive built with singles and ultimately went back to snake guides. Had a big salmon this fall tie a knot around my single foot with loose fly line on its initial run. It ended up fine, but this wouldnt have happened with the snakes.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 AM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

I think it is Forhan wrap.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:58 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

My preference is snakes. I have a couple rods with single foot guides, and to tell the truth, I don't notice them when fishing. Personal preference to me. Some of you guys mention they're not as strong, but (I maybe off base here) I've never seen a spinning rod or any other rod that style, with single foot guides have any ripped off. So I'm not sure that lack of strength would be a factor. I'm also not sure if anybody out there would really notice a weight difference between single foot or snakes. That extra thread and finish isn't going to be noticable. Especially when throwing a line.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that other than the small weight difference the type of guide (snake vs. single) can make. I think I read that the snake guide will slightly stiffen a blank. Think of laying a Popsicle stick along side your finger and taping it top and bottom. Kinda like that but not nearly as much.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I can't answer your question, but there must be a reason all the top ACA distance casters use single-foot guides.

Randy
Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
My preference is snakes. I have a couple rods with single foot guides, and to tell the truth, I don't notice them when fishing. Personal preference to me. Some of you guys mention they're not as strong, but (I maybe off base here) I've never seen a spinning rod or any other rod that style, with single foot guides have any ripped off. So I'm not sure that lack of strength would be a factor. I'm also not sure if anybody out there would really notice a weight difference between single foot or snakes. That extra thread and finish isn't going to be noticable. Especially when throwing a line.
You're right, Mojo, spinning rods do not use snakes but the single foot on a hardware rod is a much more substantial guide - a lot heavier and usually with a plastic liner - heck they are made to chuck hardware attached to mono. My point, the single foot wire guides used for a standard 4-6 WT fly rod are much lighter way easier to bend or flatten in an accident.

And ultimately, it is personal preference. I'm sticking with snake guides, they have worked for me for 15 years...
Old 11-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
My point, the single foot wire guides used for a standard 4-6 WT fly rod are much lighter way easier to bend or flatten in an accident.
The guides don't much matter to me. I've never had a failure with either type. That said, when buying a hot rod rod I opt for single foot guides because of parasitic losses. Stiffer spots on the blank at each guide and extra weight carried on that long lever we call a fly rod add up... even though it's probably all in my head, it matters.

As for the bending or flatteing of single foots, almost all of my single foot rods have ReCoil guides. Problem solved.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
The guides don't much matter to me. I've never had a failure with either type. That said, when buying a hot rod rod I opt for single foot guides because of parasitic losses. Stiffer spots on the blank at each guide and extra weight carried on that long lever we call a fly rod add up... even though it's probably all in my head, it matters.

As for the bending or flatteing of single foots, almost all of my single foot rods have ReCoil guides. Problem solved.
Well there you go!

Personal preference...
Old 11-23-2011, 12:56 PM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

I'll chime in here from the other side of the fence.

With this rod series, we are using high modulus graphite (IM-9), which gives us a very light, fast recovery rod. With a faster blank, we wanted to take every measure we could to get the best possible flex we could. Two of the most noticeable measures we took were to use internal ferrules, and single foot guides.

Is either one of these traits better than their alternative? Depends on who you ask. This same rod made with the alternatives (sleeve-over ferrule and snake guides) would still be a great rod. Would the difference be noticeable if either one of these things was changed? For most, probably not. BUT, the combination of both of these traits together, to me, makes a rod with a better overall flex, with less dead spots, and is indeed noticeable.

There are pros and cons of going with all of the options. But for this rod series, the single foot guides in combination with internal ferrules just made what we were after.

Hope this helps in some way.