The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single foot guides Vs. Snake guides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
Had a big salmon this fall tie a knot around my single foot with loose fly line on its initial run. It ended up fine, but this wouldnt have happened with the snakes.
That's the first concrete thing in the whole argument. As I had said, I have made them with both, never had a problem with either, but this is an actual real measurable difference. It's never happened to me so far, but I'd hate to loose a big fish over a guide.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:13 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

It ended up fine, but this wouldn't have happened with the snakes
Pegoy how did you determine this outcome? My knowledge of rod building is minimal. I do know that with the new deigns available today mainly the Fuji Lowriders that the durability and profile has cured the line slap and possibility of line wrap. I would think that the height of the eyelet and designs available today would help in eliminating any issues. As far as durability I think BVK uses a Fuji flex guide. Maybe the same stuff that is used in the new eyeglass frames?
As far as drag I would think a ceramic insert would offer less Resistance over plain wire.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Another contensious issue as mentioned some like Single Foot,others prefer Snakes,the extra Binding & Coating does add weight as well as Stiffens The Rod Blank,However The Tungsten Carbide & Ceramic Inserts are also heavier,so really it's up to what you want to use as Dan has said he uses both.
Brian.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

There's no cut and dry to anything. I like to try to weigh the pros and cons with purchases like this.
Especially with advice from the experience and knowledge members of this forum. Thanks everyone!

I went ahead and bought the Myth rod from Allen Flyfishing.
When I use it, over time, I'll be able to see how it works out for myself.

Dave