The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Single foot guides Vs. Snake guides... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/208590-single-foot-guides-vs-snake-guides.html)

dave5977 11-22-2011 11:49 AM

Single foot guides Vs. Snake guides...

Can you help me out between the two?

I'm looking at buying a Myth 4 wt 8'6" rod from Allen Fly Fishing in the next couple days. I noticed they have single foot guides on them.
Well, I have never seen this before. Justin tells me "We prototyped the rod with both snake and single foot guides and the rod felt better with using single foot guides."

I'll take his word for it. Can you add anything more from experience and/or knowledge?

Thanks!
Dave

Guest1 11-22-2011 12:41 PM

Re: Single foot guides Vs. Snake guides...

I have made rods with both. One of my favorite rods is a 5 wight with single foot guides. It has inserts. I have made them with wire single foot guides as well. They are lighter. My 12 wt. has single foot guides with inserts as well. I have never found a reason to regret my guide choice on either rod.

The advantage of single foot guides is that you have half the flex coat and half the thread. You loose some if not all of that weight advantage when you use single foot guides with inserts.

I'm not sure you can actually tell the difference when you are casting, but theoretically you have less weight in the rod, most importantly in the tip end, so the way it casts is different. How much different? I'm sure it's hard to tell.

jpbfly 11-22-2011 12:55 PM

Totally agree with Dan about the advantages of single foot guides...but I've got two rods with them and I feel the line doesn't run as easily through foot guides than through snake ones...don't know why, maybe it's only because of the metal .:confused:

sweetandsalt 11-22-2011 01:24 PM

Wire single foot and snake guides weigh about the same but the snakes require the additional weight of a second thead wrap and coat of finish. Single foots have famously been used on G.Loomis' original GLX and on the also super light "Nano" Nti by the original Florida based Redington. They are a bit more likely to be damaged in a pulling situation because they are anchored at only on point. A renowned rod designer told me that the blank must be designed for specific guide types and sizes; changing the mass added to the blank effects the rods action. As in all rod choices; cast the rod allong with a few of its peers to see what feels the best and covers the performance criteria for your intended use.

randyflycaster 11-22-2011 01:30 PM

For competive ACA casting tournments, most distance casters use single-foot guides, less friction, less weight (so the rod, in effect, become faster).

IMHO, single-foot guides are not as durable.

Randy

dave5977 11-22-2011 01:56 PM

I can see a durability issue with the single foot guide. If you bend it by running them into something, then try to straighten them out (too many times), it is possible to fatigue the guide and break it off.

... I feel the line doesn't run as easily through foot guides than through snake ones... (jpbfly)

Could this be because when the line runs through the single foot guides, it is hitting them striaght on (perpendicular) causing friction? Compared to a snake guide, the line is hitting the guides at a less sever angle because of the "cork screw" design of the guide? so there is less friction...

But that line of thinking goes against randyflycaster's comment :confused:

Dave

jpbfly 11-22-2011 02:10 PM

Dave...only tried to tell what I feel while fishing:)....I'm a flyfisherman not a caster.:DThe best thing to do is to try both rods yourself;)

dave5977 11-22-2011 03:03 PM

jpbfly, I completely respect what you are saying...
I just get caught up in this sort of things. Probably to a fault.

Hardyreels 11-22-2011 05:58 PM

I think Dan pretty well covered that one, I too have both type guides.

FrankB2 11-22-2011 09:17 PM

I had a couple of factory-built rods with single foot guides. While I didn't notice any Wow Factor in terms of casting, the single foot guides were more prone to hang up on branches and such while walking with the rod pointed foward. Some might say, "Learn how to carry the rod," things like boat gunwales can catch single foot guides as well. Wrapping them properly would help durability, but I've never seen a factory rod that had the proper Forman wrap (I think that's the proper term...Dan???).