The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 07:46 PM

charwoods3 is on a distinguished road
Default $200 to spend

Hello,

I am pretty new to fly fishing. When I lived in Alaska, we bought a combo setup to mess around with. Now that we are back in Arkansas, I would like to get back into it.

I have $200 to spend. I have 2 old martin reels that I could use if i can't fit a reel into my budget. I'm looking at a 9' 5 wt rod for fishing mainly panfish and bass but might be able to make it up to northern Arkansas for a trout run. I am looking mainly at TFO and Echo rods right now. I would like to get a complete outfit, but at least need the rod, line and other things needed other than a reel. I would appreciate any suggestions on what to spend the remaining $60 on after the purchase of the rod. Mainly would like to know if it would be worth taking a lower end line in order to get a new reel, or if I should just tough it out with the old reel and just buy line for now.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 06-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: $200 to spend

TFO and Echo both have great rods in that price range. Check out the Full Creel Fly Shop for both and a 21 day trail, free shipping and no tax.

Another option for you is TFO Combo which includes: rod, reel, line, backing, leader and rod & reel carrying case for $174.95. I think the Rod is either the Signature or Pro rods. Either one are great rods. That way your under you 2 c-notes and you will have enough for a few flies.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 06-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi charwoods3,

Welcome to the forum. Terry has given you some good advise for your price range.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to agree totally with the ECHO and TFO, but Cabela's does have a sweet deal with all the fixin's. I do know a couple of gentlemen that have these and they are quite nice.
Cabela's Genesis&#8482 Fly-Fishing Outfits
Old 06-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! I would sooner have a decent old reel with a great line on it than a new reel and cheap line ANY day.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM

charwoods3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies.

I tried to order the TFO pro rod combo from cabela's before I made this thread. It came with one of their reels and SA GPX line, but they were backordered. I canceled that order and ordered an Echo with Cortland 555 Dyna tip line and some bass leaders from The Full Creel. I'll just use one of the old reels until I can get ahold of a better reel. I was hoping to get it before this weekend, but I haven't heard anything today, so it will probably be monday before I get my hands on it.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

That is a really fine rod and I've heard great things about that line as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charwoods3 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I tried to order the TFO pro rod combo from cabela's before I made this thread. It came with one of their reels and SA GPX line, but they were backordered. I canceled that order and ordered an Echo with Cortland 555 Dyna tip line and some bass leaders from The Full Creel. I'll just use one of the old reels until I can get ahold of a better reel. I was hoping to get it before this weekend, but I haven't heard anything today, so it will probably be monday before I get my hands on it.

Wise choice, I love that rod and I am gonna get one real soon myself.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:56 AM

Volcanomil is on a distinguished road

I was just sort of in the same boat - what I did was order a Sage Launch rod and bought a fly reel on e-bay - totaled just over $200 and I am one happy fly caster