The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 11:59 AM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough
Default specified rod weight vs. actual weight

is it typical that manufacturer specified rod weights (i.e. how heavy the rod is on a scale) are a little optimistic? perhaps it's an average of multiple rods?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:43 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: specified rod weight vs. actual weight

I have one rod, a fiberglass Orvis Golden Eagle, that's heavier than the stated weight by mutable ounces.
That only bother's me if I'm casting it all day, otherwise......
Old 11-30-2011, 02:13 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I find it very interesting that so many folks today are so concerned about what rods actually weigh. I grew up using fiberglass rods, some were solid, and they were heavy compared to most of today's rods. Still, it didn't make any difference, it's what we had and I still caught fish with them. I still use some fiberglass rods, baitcasters, surf rods & trolling rods.

Why the question? Are you finding that there is a great deal of variance from what the manufacturer states?

I can't answer your question with any degree of certainty because I don't know how they determine the weight that they state in specs. I would guess it would be an average, since there will likely be some variation between rods.

There will also be some degree of variation between scales too. I have a digital postal scale & a digital jewelers scale, and although they weigh objects quite closely, there is a slight difference due to the degree of accuracy between them, which could result in average weight differences when weighing the same objects. But, I don't know if that would cause a big difference when weighing rods, never tried it.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:21 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I believe many manufacturers stated rod weights are of the unfinished rod, i.e. the blank (though maybe with the handle). Addition of the guides/tips reel seat etc adds some weight to the rod, therefore, finished rods, the one you walk out of the shop with, is heavier than expected.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Why ask the question? Well, manufacturers use an exact (not rough) weight to market rods. Sage's One rod is supposed to be 25% lighter than the Z-Axis, but my Z-Axis is heavier than the weight printed on the side. My scale is very accurate BTW. Having worked in the bicycle industry, I can tell you that consumers in that market care a LOT about weight, and manufacturersnfudge the numbers all the time. Bicycles come in various sizes, and guess which size they base the stated weight on. I ride the upper end of sizes, so stated weights only give me a relative number to go by. Component weight is much more accurate.

Bamboo has to be the most difficult rod material to get a consistent weight from, and I wouldn't want a rodmaker to feel that he has to reach a target weight. Doing so would result in shaving weight out of the butt section, making the rod feel unbalanced, and perhaps weakening it. Graphite and fiberglass rods use more exacting scrim thickness, but resin (much like varnish on bamboo) is likely to vary. Cork density and the amount of epoxy applied to the reel seat and grip will vary, and I suppose the amount of finish applied to wraps could add up/down as well.

Reels tend to be very close to their stated weights, but they don't have the sort of variables that I outlined above. If rod weight is important to you, try them before buying. I've had rods that weigh exactly the same on a scale, yet one felt much lighter than the other. There are dynamics that come into play in how a rod feels when casting and fishing that can't bemeasured on a scale.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:23 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Hollywood

Have been interested in this too, mainly as curiosity about fly rods in general. My current WAG is that listing the weight is part of the marketing process & quality control, i.e. uniformity.

Asked Loomis why they do not list weights; their answer was that they had a confrontation with a customer that led to them to that decision.

Glad you brought this up, still interested is any comments, ideas, etc.
I sometimes think they pull a few rods in each "run", weigh them and post the lowest.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

Last edited by imxer; 12-02-2011 at 09:07 AM.