The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 06:05 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default TFO questions

Sold my Sage Vantage 3wt yesterday and have to fill the hole in my collection now.

Looking at a (new) TFO Lefty Kreh Professional series rod at a very good price in my opinion ($100).

I've decided on a 4wt, but can't decide on 8' or 9' length. Would there be much actual difference in the feel of these rods as far as the line weight and flex of the rod? In other words, would the longer rod feel a bit more full flex compared to the shorter one? (I prefer a slower action rod for most of my fishing and often overline one weight to get the feel I like at the distances I cast.)
Old 12-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TFO questions

I don't think so. I have a 10' 5 wt, sweet mid flex rod.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:29 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

I'm also looking at a TFO's. If you want the slower action, have you looked at the TFO Finesse?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:39 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntrout View Post
I'm also looking at a TFO's. If you want the slower action, have you looked at the TFO Finesse?

This.

If slower is what you want then get the Finesse.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:49 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

The finesse sounds like it might be closer to fitting my casting style.
Now if I can find a good price.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:54 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

$100 is a good price for sure. I got my son in law a 4wt finesse and I got the pro series 4 wt 8' 6". Being its the only rod I've owned, ( tfo's), I can't really give you a comparison between tfo and other brands. I will say as already mentioned the finesse is a slower rod. I like longer fly rods only because if I have to do some highsticking it's better. 9' wasn't available so that is why I got an 8' 6". I'd get it, too good of a price.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

TFO is a good product. I have had my mixed opinion as to whether or not I would purchase them again. Great price on the Pro, but the fact it has broke three times in the exact same spot, costing $30. each time turned me off. I do think it was a factory defect in which they fixed but still cost, plus shipping.

If you seriously want a longer rod and like the idea of Hi-sticking, look at Allens. He offers all sorts of forum discounts and that 10' three or four weight is soooo attractive.
I can't WAIT for the switch rods.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 AM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Reason I was looking at the TFO Finesse is that its the closest in feel to my 15 year old Sage LL (590-3 LL) that I've been able to find so far. I tried casting the Sage ZXL which I thought would be closest to my LL, and it didn't quite match up. I tried a handful of other rods at my local fly shop and the TFO Finesse came up (at least so far) closest in feel to my LL. The TFO Finesse is running about $180, at least on the websites I've looked at. I'm probably going to be ordering parts in the next day or so to build up a 7' 9" 4 wt Finesse.

Joni, ever have any problems with Finesse rods breaking?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:14 PM

Joni,
Now you've got me thinking my first pick for a new rod - Redington CT - might be the better choice.
Never owned TFO, but I have used Redington and my son has a Redington and has had no problems. The CT is probably an action (medium) I could be very happy with.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:27 PM

I am the only one I know that has had an issue with TFO and it might just be the 10' 5 wt Pro.
I will add, however, the cork on the TFO was terrible even for the price.
Redingtons are sweet. We use them for clients.