The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 06:29 PM
wyefly is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Overall Rod

hi, the BLOKE XL50- 9' #5, is a nice quality rod and a dream to cast.
check out, WELCOME TO BLOKE FLY RODS i have four of these rods, two #5 and two #6 and they take some beating.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:59 PM

catman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Overall Rod

I have a old Orvis Superfine 7' 9" "Far & Fine" 5wt. that is my go to rod, I wouldn't trade or sell it for no amount of $$$ well maybe if I found a goose. I have other more expensive rods. It works a 4wt, 5wt & 6wt line very well, I can't explain it. I guess that's why Orvis called it the "Far & Fine" untill you throw one you will never know. Very nice touch rod and it's got some backbone if you need it to a point..
Old 03-19-2008, 01:34 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

For me, the most important is the weight of the rod. You will be casting it all day and the lightest is the best. Most say fast, a few say med-fast..... check them out for yourself. I like fast. Usually means a better graphite and lighter rod.

When you go to a local fly shop, you should understand that they will sell you what they have in stock!! They have to make some money so they talk up the old rods they have on their shelf!

Do some research. Look on the web and then go to the big stores like Cabelas or Bass Pro.

I personally like the Sage rods. A thick base with a skinney top. Way better than the rest.

Try the rods out. Cabelas and Bass Pro will let you play with the rods to see what you like. IMHO, always go to the big stores for better stuff at a better price....... or check out eBay or the classifieds on this site and a million others.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRichardFly View Post
Do some research. Look on the web and then go to the big stores like Cabelas or Bass Pro.

I personally like the Sage rods. A thick base with a skinney top. Way better than the rest.

Try the rods out. Cabelas and Bass Pro will let you play with the rods to see what you like. IMHO, always go to the big stores for better stuff at a better price....... or check out eBay or the classifieds on this site and a million others.
You are kidding, right? All fly rods have a thick base with a skinny top.
As for asking people top go to a big box store, you are trying to start something, right?
I like the misconception you have that the big box stores are less expensive. There, you're nothing more than a number with disposable income but besides that the fact remains that the good brands of gear cost the same no matter where you get it. In fact, the best lines won't even sell to the big box stores because they want professionals selling their gear and defining your needs exactly.

Oh, and Sage may have been 'way' better than the rest at some times in some eyes but it seems they're resting on their laurels and are making rods so tough that they are starting to lack refinement, feel and light weight. Heck, even Orvis blew them away in every respect with their new Helios. Sage has nothing that can compare at any level but, as long as they carry that Sage brand name on them they will have customers with blind faith.
In complete honesty, since Sage started building rods the ONLY series that blew me away and that I found sort of NOT a duplication of other rods available by other manufacturers (if you exclude Scotts little powerhouse of a year or two ago) are the new bass rods.
I'm pretty sure one of those will be my first Sage and will guarentee it will be bought at the same small shop that let me try it at a local fly show while the local Bass Pro Shop stayed home and took many peoples business for granted.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
You are kidding, right? All fly rods have a thick base with a skinny top.
As for asking people top go to a big box store, you are trying to start something, right?
I like the misconception you have that the big box stores are less expensive. There, you're nothing more than a number with disposable income but besides that the fact remains that the good brands of gear cost the same no matter where you get it. In fact, the best lines won't even sell to the big box stores because they want professionals selling their gear and defining your needs exactly.

Oh, and Sage may have been 'way' better than the rest at some times in some eyes but it seems they're resting on their laurels and are making rods so tough that they are starting to lack refinement, feel and light weight. Heck, even Orvis blew them away in every respect with their new Helios. Sage has nothing that can compare at any level but, as long as they carry that Sage brand name on them they will have customers with blind faith.
In complete honesty, since Sage started building rods the ONLY series that blew me away and that I found sort of NOT a duplication of other rods available by other manufacturers (if you exclude Scotts little powerhouse of a year or two ago) are the new bass rods.
I'm pretty sure one of those will be my first Sage and will guarentee it will be bought at the same small shop that let me try it at a local fly show while the local Bass Pro Shop stayed home and took many peoples business for granted.
Like Steve/Fish Bones said earlier, its too much of a personal opinion. Whats said here about Sage is an example. If not, Sage wouldn't sell as many rods as they do to people who have cast over 100 different rods in their many years of fishing, and have a pretty good idea of what suits them best.

I still generally like Scott's rods better than Sage's, and like them better as a company, but the opinion that all rods Sage builds "lack refinement, feel and light weight", is far from universally held.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
. . . In complete honesty, since Sage started building rods the ONLY series that blew me away and that I found sort of NOT a duplication of other rods available by other manufacturers (if you exclude Scotts little powerhouse of a year or two ago) are the new bass rods.
So - for example - you thought the Sage SP and XP lines were ****?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
So - for example - you thought the Sage SP and XP lines were ****?
At the time the XP came out I was already spoiled by Loomis GLX's which had more usable range, better feel and were far lighter in weight. To buy an XP would have been like taking two giant steps backwards in comparison... to me anyhow.
As for the SP, I only tried them three times, once when I borrowed a friends, once again at a casting competition Sage had at a local fly show and then again at another show a year or two later. Sorry, but to me they felt as though there was extra weight midway up the blank that deadened the feel.
I never said they were '****', I just didn't find they fitted my needs enough to warrant my buying them and using them.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:23 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I'd also look at the St. Croix Avid. It's a little slower than the Ultra Legend.

Randy Kadish
Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
At the time the XP came out I was already spoiled by Loomis GLX's which had more usable range, better feel and were far lighter in weight. To buy an XP would have been like taking two giant steps backwards in comparison... to me anyhow.
As for the SP, I only tried them three times, once when I borrowed a friends, once again at a casting competition Sage had at a local fly show and then again at another show a year or two later. Sorry, but to me they felt as though there was extra weight midway up the blank that deadened the feel.
I never said they were '****', I just didn't find they fitted my needs enough to warrant my buying them and using them.
Well, the Loomis GLX is certainly a fine rod . . . and, sorry to say, we do all have limits on how many rods we can buy (although my wife is beginning to wonder about mine ). As to the SP, I've never heard nor found it lacked feel, but then, different opinions are what make horse races.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi guys,

Interesting comments by Jackster. I thought he had a case until he picked the Loomis GLX as his better than Sage rod. That is one rod that I never cared for that was made in the 80's. They may be a better rod today. I should say that I am not a fan of Orvis rods either. That doesn't make them a bad rod.

It seemed that when ever I was in the market for a fly rod Sage always had one that fit my requirements and casting style. It really comes down to casting style and personal preference and not much to do with what is the best rod. Just because I don't care for a Loomis GLX or Orvis rods that doesn't make them bad rods or worse rods than some other maker. It just makes them different.

Frank