The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best Overall Rod

[QUOTE=Jackster;23548]...Oh, and Sage may have been 'way' better than the rest at some times in some eyes but it seems they're resting on their laurels and are making rods so tough that they are starting to lack refinement, feel and light weight..."

You're kidding right? Resting on their laurels? I seem to recall when the RPLs/+ came out then the SP, then the SLT and now the Bass rods? Resting on laurels I can't imagine. If anything this company has strived to provide a rod for almost everyone. I can't say that about Winston, which has chosen to outsource overseas to keep up. I've cast the Helios and loved it but come on now, $755 for a rod?! Not everyone wants to spend that kind of money even if they can. Myself I have not found one maker that fulfills my every needs so I pick and chose. There are so, so many choices today that it boggles the mind. And mind you, you don't have to spend a fortune! Look for value, cast them blind with the same line and line wts then purchase. For example I just purchased an Albright A5 4 wt and absolutely love this rod. Yet I'm in it for < $150 after shipping ( $145 to be exact). I believe it comes really close to my Sage SLT at a fraction of the price! Look take a list of the recommendations on this list and find someone who carries them and bring your reel and line. When you find what you want buy it then and there. For the record I believe Sage, Loomis, Winston, St. Croix, Orvis ALL put out quality rods. You will pay a bit more, or a whole lot more but most likely, you will get a true quality rod. I do not think there is such a thing as the ' best overall rod' expecially if you have a choice. That right there is your best friend- a choice...
Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
...For the record I believe Sage, Loomis, Winston, St. Croix, Orvis ALL put out quality rods. You will pay a bit more, or a whole lot more but most likely, you will get a true quality rod. I do not think there is such a thing as the ' best overall rod' expecially if you have a choice. That right there is your best friend- a choice...
Exactly.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 AM

plland is on a distinguished road

Best overall rod, eh? That's going to be a tricky one. There are people who will tell you that the Winston WT 5wt (med action) is the best rod around and there are some people who will tell you that the Sage XP 5wt (fast action) is the best rod around. Myself, I really like the Sage TXL (med-fast action) in the 00wt. Sure I need to grab a fast action 7wt rod for casting streamers, but if I just stick with dry flies and small nymphs, the 00wt is just too enjoyable to cast (weighs almost nothing) and too fun to pull in any sized fish on for me to recommend any other rod. Of course, this will probably illustrate just why you need to track down your local fly shop and try out a bunch of different rods for yourself.