The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:51 PM

Ryguy is on a distinguished road
Default Best Rod Overall

I'm in the market for a 5wt all-around flyrod. I've outgrown my old (relatively cheap) Fenwick and am ready for a nicer, more expensive rod. I've always been a fan of Orvis but am curious about the quality of the new Cabela's rods. I'd like to spend in b/t $300 to $500 and I really like the idea of the 25 year warrenty offered by some. I'd like to know what rods you all would recommend. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:13 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Rod Overall

I have a Sage SLT 5 wt and it's a great rod so far. May be a little more than you want to spend (about 530 or so), but it has a lifetime warranty like most of the good ones have. I used it this week at a catch and release here in Albuquerque and had a blast catching several 'bows pushing 22".
Old 03-14-2007, 06:50 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

To much of a personal opinion. Go to a local flyshop and do some lot casting with different rods and see what YOU like.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM

BruceN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
To much of a personal opinion. Go to a local flyshop and do some lot casting with different rods and see what YOU like.
Excellent idea! Start with the RL Winston lineup!

Bruce
Old 03-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Too much of a personal opinion is right. 10 anglers can answer that question and you might get 10 different answers... and none of them may be right for you.

The best thing to do is to go cast a few. If that's not much of an option, and you order online, make sure you get a test drive period so that you can send the rod back if you try it and don't like it.

Also, if the 25 year warranty looks good, why not look for a rod with a lifetime warranty.

The St. Croix Legend Ultra and Legend Elite fits your price range and comes with a lifetime warranty. So does the Winston Vapor. They are all excellent rods.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Make sure you cast it first. Still better, find a shop with a good casting instructor and have him consult on which rod you would be best off with. A good casting instructor can watch you cast rods and tell you which one is best suited to your casting stroke. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt if he insists on the most expensive rod, but its always possible that is your best option. (This has made Sage the company they are today.)

On rods- The Sage SLT mantioned above is a wonderful rod that casts smoothly but with good progressive power, and Sage's warranty care is among the best I've worked with. That being said, a Scott G2 might be a much better fit for your casting stroke. Scott's e2 is another fine option that is cheaper than my other 2 sugg's. Temple Fork really does make some fine rods that are worth trying for a much cheaper option. Beulah's Guide series are FANTASTIC for the money, though they are a little trickier to "figure out". But my favorite 5wt "Budget Rod" has to be the ECHO 1 series. Its a 4pc 9' 5wt that casts really nice and has a unlimited lifetime warranty. Echo 5wt fly rod fly fishing gear

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:59 AM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Make sure you cast it first. Still better, find a shop with a good casting instructor and have him consult on which rod you would be best off with. A good casting instructor can watch you cast rods and tell you which one is best suited to your casting stroke.
Then again when I went to go lot casting at a local shop the rod that he siad best suited my stroke was the Sage Z-axis at a price tag of $600.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Tis why i followed that quoted bit with-
Quote:
Feel free to take it with a grain of salt if he insists on the most expensive rod, but its always possible that is your best option. (This has made Sage the company they are today.)
For a cheaper option, try a TFO TiCR rod, they're pretty great, though have a bit stiffer tip than the fast Sages. A St. Croix Legend Ultra might be a good fit for ya too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

If you have a local flyfishing club, join it. the members will probably be glad
to let you try their rods. more than likely there will be a large variety of them.
rod selection is an individual preference thing with cost not being a gauge for anything. more important to have a rod that best suits the type fishing you will be doing with the correct line size for that rod. good luck !
Old 06-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ryguy,

Some good suggestions here. I wanted to second the St Croix Legend Ultra. They are a lot of rod for the money. They are made in America and have a lifetime warranty. Check out the specs on this rod for $310.

Click the image to open in full size.
  • Integrated Poly Curve® (IPC®) tooling technology.
  • Advanced Reinforcing Technology™ (ART™).
  • High-modulus/high-strain SCIV graphite.
  • Slim-profile ferrules.
  • Fuji® Alconite stripper guides with chrome frames.
  • Hard chrome, single-foot fly guides on 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 wt. models.
  • Hard chrome snake guides on 6SW, 6/10', 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 wt. models.
  • REC® nickel silver reel seat with a stabilized bird's-eye maple insert on freshwater models.
  • REC® hard-anodized, aluminum reel seat on heavier-line models.
  • Super-grade cork handle.
  • Two coats of Flex Coat slow-cure finish.
  • Rugged rod case with handle and divided polypropylene liner.
  • Lifetime limited warranty backed by unmatched St. Croix service.
  • Handcrafted in the U.S.A.