The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 11:03 AM

cketh is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions on TFO Lefty Kreh 6' 2pc 2wt

I keep looking at this little 6' 2wt rod when I go into the sporting goods store. It feels pretty good but it's tough to tell without casting it. I'm skeptical because it's only $109. Anyone have one?

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store
Old 08-03-2010, 03:01 AM

Dry Fly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opinions on TFO Lefty Kreh 6' 2pc 2wt

I've been lurking here for the last year or so, knowing I've got more to learn than I have to share. I just found this thread, and after 75 views w/ no replies, I took it as a sign that I should make my first post.

I bought the little TFO 6' 2wt about 18months ago. The smallest rods I had prior to that were 7'6" 4wts, and I was itching to give a tiny "specialty rod" a try. Considering the TFO reputation for quality and value, not to mention their lifetime warranty, I figured a $109 risk was worth it. I paired the rod with Cabelas Prestige Plus and a baby Pflueger Medalist (1492). It took me a while to adjust my timing but I feel comfortable casting to around 30-35ft. I don't know how to double-haul, but that would probably extend my distance a little more if I felt the need. But that's not really the point of this rod. For the small streams I enjoy, as well as some tube use on small ponds and lakes, I absolutely love the 6' TFO. It's obviously very light in the hand, easy to negotiate in heavy cover, and trout of every size feel larger. I haven't fished flies larger than size 12, so I can't speak to its full capabilities.

In my limited experience, a 7'6" 4wt does most of what this little 6' does, while being much more versatile---------except the fun factor. I'm very glad I took the risk on this little stick. In my opinion, take the $109 risk. If not, you can likely sell it at a slight loss. But my guess it'll stay in your collection.